2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Has anyone's Dodge Lamb worked right from the get go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 PM
DURTGURL81
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone's Dodge Lamb worked right from the get go?

I have had my truck for over three years now, and the only major problem that i have had with it was the tranny. i had a custom rebuild, havent had a problem with it since.. other than minor regular maintenance.
the tranny was rebuilt at 136k miles, and i have over 150 on it now. i have towed a CH46E helicopter with it, towed cars, pulled jeep grand cherokee out of a rift in north topsail island NC, towed a full race trailer packed to the top with furniture, it has made 7 cross country trips in the time that i have had it.
love it or leave it kinda thing with these trucks. if i had to buy a whole new tranny for it again i would in a heart beat. its been very good to me, and everything that i have ever needed it for. and it looks good sitting in my front yard too hah hah hah.

2000 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.9 magnum

Old 02-01-2006, 11:38 PM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker

My 84 D150 has only had two major problems: the transmission had to be rebuilt at 75k and I replaced the carb and intake manifold at 96k. It has 99k on it now and I am extremely hard on it [sm=gears.gif] and beat the **** out of it whenever I drive it, but it has never failed on me, except when I got it stuck off-road, but that was my own damn fault. Damn 2WD drivetrain. Anyway, it hauls *** and still looks great. It beat my buddy's 86 Jimmy with a 350 4bbl in a 1-mile street race, and he's modded it up somewhat, and, save the fuel system, carb, and manifold, the truck is all stock, although I've also gotten rid of half of my emmissions parts (Shhhh!). Damn emmissions ***** still try to fail my inspection, but it no longer has to pass emmissions tests! Motherf**king ba**ards.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:41 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DURTGURL81

I have had my truck for over three years now, and the only major problem that i have had with it was the tranny. i had a custom rebuild, havent had a problem with it since.. other than minor regular maintenance.
the tranny was rebuilt at 136k miles, and i have over 150 on it now. i have towed a CH46E helicopter with it, towed cars, pulled jeep grand cherokee out of a rift in north topsail island NC, towed a full race trailer packed to the top with furniture, it has made 7 cross country trips in the time that i have had it.
love it or leave it kinda thing with these trucks. if i had to buy a whole new tranny for it again i would in a heart beat. its been very good to me, and everything that i have ever needed it for. and it looks good sitting in my front yard too hah hah hah.

2000 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.9 magnum

i agree ither you get a good one with little problems or your working on it all the time duzent seam likt there is a gray area on them

Old 02-03-2006, 12:15 AM
cableguy
Professional

Bought mine used Oct 04.First few months was OK. I thiught the constant hum was the tires (I don't hear so good). Turns out it was the bearings in the rear end.Replaced the rear, and at the same time they did the head gaskets since they were weeping, and it was under warranty. Took them 28 days to get the rear straightened out. Picked it up, had it for all of about 14 hours, back to the dealer(on a hook this time). The tech missed one of the rocker arms on the reassembly from the head gasket job. That technically wasn't Dodge's fault I guess. It went back after that for some driveability issues that the dealership couldn't figure out. Let's see, a wheelbearing replacement.
From info I've gotten from all you guys, I think I need to look into the IAC, the TPS, the TB, and I think I need a tranny service(bands, fluid change).
And for all the head aches, It's still the baddest looking pick-up on the block, and probably the second baddest looking vehicle on the block period.
Oh yeah, the wiring issues at the steering column b/c I use the tilt wheel all the time! But. I still love this truck.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:29 AM
cableguy
Professional

Almost forgot, thedashboard looks like it was hit with a bat, and the A/C crapped out!

Old 02-03-2006, 11:38 PM
DodgeRam318_4bbl
Record Breaker

Scratch my last post, my transmission blew last night and needs rebuilding. First time since 1997 that the thing's failed me. Damn Chrysler transmissions. Oh well, better than the **** that GM offers, I helped my buddy reattach his brake caliper on his 98 Grand Prix after the top retaining bolt fell out. The caliper came loose and locked the wheel up, stranding him on the side of the road. His rotor needs to be returned and his wheel is scuffed up real bad, but that's it. At least his transmission still works though. Damn GM ****.

P.S.: Socha_62, where can I get one of those bad-*** DF.com stickers?

Old 02-04-2006, 03:39 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: DodgeRam318_4bbl

Scratch my last post, my transmission blew last night and needs rebuilding. First time since 1997 that the thing's failed me. Damn Chrysler transmissions. Oh well, better than the **** that GM offers, I helped my buddy reattach his brake caliper on his 98 Grand Prix after the top retaining bolt fell out. The caliper came loose and locked the wheel up, stranding him on the side of the road. His rotor needs to be returned and his wheel is scuffed up real bad, but that's it. At least his transmission still works though. Damn GM ****.

P.S.: Socha_62, where can I get one of those bad-*** DF.com stickers?
That ain't just GM, the bottom caliper bolt fell out on my Ram on the highway, damn near crashed it on the off ramp due to the front end jumping off the ground, drove it the rest of the way to work on the e-brake. Luckily it didn't hurt anything bad enough to have to fix it. Took about a day to find a dealer that had the freakin bolt however.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 AM
garpoonga
Professional

My 96, 2500 has been great. I have driven it to the tops of many mountains since I got it over some pretty rough roads if they could be called that. I have 260,000 km on it and other then normal mileage related issues like raplacing a caliper or the sending unit I am very happy with my Dodge. Right now I just have to figure out why my antilock breaks don't work right when it's cold outside.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:18 AM
daimler_ch5

i got mine with 253000 miles on it. its a 95, and is still on its original engine and tranny. i admit that the automatic trannys have a lot of problems on these trucks, but thats why i simply refused to buy one. i get better gas mileage from the manual anyhow, and have a lot more control when im towing. i drove the truck non-stop from minneapolis, minnesota to laramie, wyoming when it had 255000 miles doing over 90 the whole way with a full load in the bed (dont worry, i had it all tied down VERY well) and had no problem accept that the ecu didnt adapt to the altitude for a couple of days. now that im in laramie, i drive to fort collins colorado and back (about 150 miles round trip) almost every weekend, and still no problems. the only complaint i have is that the cad front axle isnt quite strong wnough for the offroading i want to do and the unit hub is almost dead on the passenger side, but thats mostly my fault.

i dont baby this truck one bit. RAM it man!

Quick Reply: Has anyone's Dodge Lamb worked right from the get go?