2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Has anyone's Dodge Lamb worked right from the get go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:55 PM
banwhalen
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone's Dodge Lamb worked right from the get go?

I have had so many problems from my one and only new vehicle...dodge lamb...that I cannot imaging anyone using the trucks for more than a yard ornament.

I cannot fathom anyone using the truck for truck stuff especially w/the tranny failures and plenum problems.

I have spent more time trying to baby the truck than it's worth. With my current problems involving the short in my electrical system, I cannot even sell the bitch and it only has 56k on it. I did all of the maintenance and have owned the truck since new.

Replaced steering column 99 due to a manufacturing defect
Fuel pump fukd up Dec 99, left me stranded and had to be towed on 31 dec.
Replaced the front drivers door due to rust at the seam 01
Replcaced the pcm, tps and other stuff due to an ongoing short... which mopar denies is a problem 02
My drivers seat will not recline and th black handle stripped trying to release the seat. 01
My bearings are going in my differential....at 48k started to whine 02
Speaker comes and goes on the passenger side.

Sad thing is it looks like a brand new truck. Oh how I regret wasting all the money and time over the years for something that was falsly advertised and basically useless. I have more faith in my 99 Taurus duratec w/100k that I bought used w/84 k than my Lamb I bought new and have done all of the maintenance, and more.

I could go on and on.

Anyone else having as much fun with their Lamb?

Old 01-25-2006, 02:04 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional
Default RE: Has anyone's Dodge Lamb worked right from the get go?

My ram has 247,000 miles now and I have had very few problems with it. I bought it with about 30,000 miles on it and have used it to pull 10,000lbs of steel on more than 1 occasion from memphis to nashville. I replaced the cat around 120,000 front wheel bearings at 170,000 water pump and radiator around 215,000 fuel pump around 230,000 tps around 235,000 plenum around 240,000 and right now I am replacing the oil pump pickup screen timing chain and torque converter just for the hell of it. Figured with that many miles better safe than sorry.

I'm sorry you are having so many problems but it sounds like you got a lemon and I would look into the lemon law for your state because that many problems I will admit is rediculous.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:44 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Baaaahhh,,,,,Im not into sheep so I cant help you lol,,,,,,j/k Opps sorry for being such a dick I just couldnt resist

My 99 has been pretty good, Steering column probably needs replacing on mine though. PCM under warranty and track bar as well. Only problems Ive had. I normally drive the V10 like I stole it even with my 96 on the trailer behind it lol. For how Ive treated it, I have nothing to complain about.

My 96 has made over 1000passes down the dragstrip and still has a few stock parts left on it (for now) Tranny rebuilt 2x, blew up my first hi stall tc and replaced the diff after wearing it out at the track (after 7+yrs) Brakes sucked on the 1500s new so crossdrilled rotors and carbon metalic pads fixed that. Not much left to change out now, but still tons to do lol.

Hopefully your luck changes
By the way, what do you have?

Old 01-25-2006, 02:57 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ive had my 01 for over 2 yrs and some change... the only actuall REAL problem i had was an ECT sensor went bad... all other problems i caused by hacking and changing stuff.. got 91K on my original tranny tooo... not one problem .. bought it used with 60K

Old 01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MAGICDSSMAN
I'm sorry you are having so many problems but it sounds like you got a lemon and I would look into the lemon law for your state because that many problems I will admit is rediculous.
I'll agree with that statement. Sorry to hear about all the problems.

My V10 has 143,000 on it, and aside from the recalls, it's only had a few things go wrong with it.

Converters plugged up (before I bought it)
New shocks
Replaced front axle seals
Replaced water pump
Changed fluids

Currently it still needs a TPS, a belt tensioner, and a converter seal...plus a little body work. No rust...just dents. [>:]

Old 01-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I'd say you got a lemon, or you are just being to hard on it. Everybody has a diffrent deffinition of "babying" their car. For me I never really tow anything (but am not affraid to and vollenteer when its needed), when accelerating I rarely go have 2500RPM, and never hardly take it down a dirt road. But the times I have gone off-roading I have beat the hell out of it and I've never had a problem. I usually go with a Jeep and an Explorer. I can go through some **** that neither of them can.

But honestly it sounds like you got a lemon. As for as I know before I got the truck nothing major was replaced. It has 110k on it with the original tranny. The only maint I've had to do to it was a tune-up 100k, front wheel bearings 100k, and my cat went out also 100k. Alther than that any time I want to be hard on her she's never let me down.

But just keep in mind. How often do you heard a GM or Ford recall vs. a Chrysler... I swear every other day on the news I hear "GM is having a recall on over 70k trucks..." I think I've heard a Chrysler recall once. But all cars have their share of problems.

I think you got a lemon

Old 01-26-2006, 02:53 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Lets see....Bought mine new Nov '01. At first oil change secondary hood latch was broken. Tranny felt "not right to me" [sm=insomnia.gif] from the beginning. Had dealer check it 3 times in first 20k miles. Always said it was normal.[sm=huh.gif] 22k tranny pan gasket leaking, dealer replaced and serviced tranny. 30k O2 sensor bad. 33k Front axle seal leaking, dealer replaced. Front brake pads. 40k, tranny problems worse, dealer suggested fluid change, I let them. 40500k, tranny basically implodes, dealer rebuilt tranny and replaced converter. Still charged me $100 deductible even though I had paid them $115 4 days earlier for the fluid and filter change. [sm=wtf.gif][sm=badbadbad.gif] Found another dealer after that. [sm=shootshoot.gif]Decided to start changing my own oil again. (one of the best decisions I made) 60k tranny acting up again. Check engine light on. Front cv joint bad. Brake rotors warped. Dealer rebuilt tranny again, replaced converter and valve body. [:@]Spent two days trying to find source of check engine light. Bad charcoal canister. Dealer fixed. I took truck home and found this forum,[sm=happy046.gif] as the freakin tranny was still acting up. Discovered problem on this forum - and replaced the TPS. Cured tranny problem. Told dealer how to fix it next time. Replaced front rotors and pads myself. ($400 cheaper than local shop) [sm=bounceybounce.gif]Took money saved on brakes and bought Fastman TB. Good investment. Now I do most of the work on it myself, cause I know I have the knowledge of all of you guys to help me out - priceless. Modding = addictive! [sm=gears.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]

P.S. - I do not run this truck hard. Daily driver, 70-75 on the highway, rarely floor it, rarely tow with it, haul heavy loads of landscape material occasionally, never "thrashed" offroad. No one else drives it. I could see stuff breaking if a teenager with a lead foot had it - but I'm long past them days......

Old 01-26-2006, 12:53 PM
ship
Amateur

well i bought my 99 sport 5.9 with like 49k now she has 121k on her, had the cat done warrantied, rearend which was my fault i towed the hell out of everything for about two years and 20,ooo miles
other than that i warm her up everyday and replace regular maintenance stuff but nothing other than scheduled. i put white gauges in her, and a mooneyes gas pedal.
love my truck and i have driven her all kinds of ways, hell i delivered pizza in her for about 6 months and she never let me down. oh a starter motor too but that's it in the past four years, and the starter was easy, did it by the light of a cell phone in the middle of the night.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Damn, mine and banwhelen's must have been built the same day.........[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 01-26-2006, 08:52 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional

I have never realy babied my truck. I have do all the routine maintenance myself and change plugs and wire and cap twice a year. I have had it in water halfway up the doors on more than 1 occasion offroad about once a month. I also take it out on the interstate a few days after every oil change and run it up to about 115mph for about 3 to 5 min to help clean everything. I've done that since I was 16. I am 21 now had the truck 5 years and have always ran it hard. For some of the things I have put her through she has never done me wrong. A few months back when I first started at fed ex they had a fully loaded semi break down and block the gate they use to get out so none of the other trucks could get so I decided I would see if I could pull ( I know what you are all thinking so don't say it) so I drop her in 4lo and get my chain and sure enough towed it outta the way with no problem nobody up there could beleive I did it. A few days later two of our managers show up with brand new rams.

Quick Reply: Has anyone's Dodge Lamb worked right from the get go?