2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new tire opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 01:32 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new tire opinion

ORIGINAL: gfunkatoa

Thornbirds. Got about 45K out of my last set. Run quiet but give better off road performance than my BFG AT's, and you can't beat the look.
Thornbirds have to be the crappiest tire ever made. They don't wear well on the road the suck offroad basically they don't do anything good. I'm not a fan of the BFG AT's either but they are better than the Thornbirds and they are great on the road just not so good in mud. I'd check out Kelly Safari MSR's for an AT or the Bridgestone Duelers both are better in mud than a BFG AT. If you want a MT I'd go with the BFG MT's can't beat them.

If you only got 11k out of your Coopers either something is up or you drive hard very very hard.

For more opinions on the Thornbird check out Pavementsucks.com

Old 01-31-2006, 10:12 AM
gfunkatoa
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default okay

In all fairness, the Thornbirds were run on a little (read as light) Bronco II. 75% highway/ 25% offroad mostly sand/mud. And I tend to have a more gentle driving style than most, on road that is. And the way those BFG's fill up with mud, they seem to quickly become useless in the mud.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:13 PM
jdcovert
Veteran
Default RE: okay

ORIGINAL: gfunkatoa

In all fairness, the Thornbirds were run on a little (read as light) Bronco II. 75% highway/ 25% offroad mostly sand/mud. And I tend to have a more gentle driving style than most, on road that is. And the way those BFG's fill up with mud, they seem to quickly become useless in the mud.
Ya, you've got to keep 'em spinning so they clean. They don't clean real well at lower speeds - compared to a swamper.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:05 AM
Shadow Caster
Rookie

I would check into the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I am getting ready to put a set on my 02 ram diesel. My boss has a set on his 03 chevy diesel and they are quiet, ride good and wear excellent. I have been told they are about the best truck tire out right now.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:45 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

I was gona buy the grapplers from www.discounttiredirect.com , but my friend is hooking me up with some firestone destination m/t's for 450!!

Old 02-05-2006, 03:17 PM
BigRedRam

I would go with the pro comp for an A/T, they have the 50,000 mile gaurantee, and a couple sites online are still sellin em " buy 3 get 1 free"

Old 02-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Chopper1
All Star

I've had good luck with 33" Dunlop RV's. Running 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX's now. Got a good deal on them. Most of my driving is on the road. Got a good 30,000 out of the Dunlops and have around 40,000 on the M/T's.

Quick Reply: new tire opinion