2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wiring running lights to parking lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 02:24 AM
bobem12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring running lights to parking lights

Hello, I have put many extra running lights on the roof and down the side of my truck. All the lights are currently wired to a switch but I want to tap into the parking lights so I don't need a switch and the extra lights turn on as if they were factory. I'm going to use a relay but I need to know where the parking light wire is so I can splice into it. Someone told me it is a black/yellow wire coming out of an 84 way connector. What does that mean exactly and is this the wire I need? I looked but I don't see this wire. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:31 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wiring running lights to parking lights

if your running a relay the easest way to do it is to go to the park lights themselfs at the front or back of the truck or light switch in the cab(depending on where the relay is) take your test light and find out whitch wire gets power wen you turn your park lights (parklights not your headlights) on ant use that to trigger your relay (post 86 on your relay)

Old 02-01-2006, 03:12 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

due to previous owner problems i am assuming, i had to wire my headlights to the parking lights. long story. in the end, the best way for me to do it was take the headlight switch out of the dash and tap in to it there. I have a factory manual, and just followed the colors in there. it was only one wire i needed to tap into. Let me know if you need me to look up what color wire it was, i dont recall off hand.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:47 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Redone4x4

due to previous owner problems i am assuming, i had to wire my headlights to the parking lights. long story. in the end, the best way for me to do it was take the headlight switch out of the dash and tap in to it there. I have a factory manual, and just followed the colors in there. it was only one wire i needed to tap into. Let me know if you need me to look up what color wire it was, i dont recall off hand.

do you have a relay in there cuz if not thats a lot to run off of the parklights alone

Old 02-01-2006, 04:17 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

yes, very simple auto parts store relay under the hood, nothing fancy.

Old 02-01-2006, 05:44 PM
bobem12

Well that sounds like my best bet since I wouldn't have to fool with the zillion wires underneath the dash. If you could find out the color that would be great if its not too much trouble. Also, any tips on getting to the switch? I have a '98 so it has the newer interior if that matters. I appreciate it guys.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: bobem12

Well that sounds like my best bet since I wouldn't have to fool with the zillion wires underneath the dash. If you could find out the color that would be great if its not too much trouble. Also, any tips on getting to the switch? I have a '98 so it has the newer interior if that matters. I appreciate it guys.
i have a 98 same as you wen i put in my alarm i had to go to the parklights and i went to the switch its easy juat pop off the dash there is 1 screw in the aux power outlet compartment the rest is clips then i belive its 3 screwes holding the switch in place take them out and pull out the switch and youll be at the wires, i wanna say its the black with yellow stripe wire but thars just from memory so youll wanna dubble check it

Old 02-02-2006, 02:12 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

black/yellow stripe it looks like for the 97. not sure about later models. on mine, black/yellow comes straight off the parking lights/turn signals. I would check with a voltmeter or test light at least, beforehand. thats what i did while using the factory manual. My manual shows the clearance lights coming down through the overhead console, using a black/yellow wire. not sure if its the same wire, though. you would probably want to put in some sort of in-line fuse though, since it looks like you are bypassing the fuse block directly by going off the headlight switch. i'm not a wiring expert by any means, hope it helps though.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:31 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

yah youll for shure wanna fuse post 30 of your relay. somewhere between 5-10 amps (depending on the amprage and number of lights) then 85 to a good ground, 86 to the park lights (black w/yellow but be shure to check it first) and 87 to your new lights

Old 02-02-2006, 02:48 AM
bobem12

ORIGINAL: ryans590

yah youll for shure wanna fuse post 30 of your relay. somewhere between 5-10 amps (depending on the amprage and number of lights) then 85 to a good ground, 86 to the park lights (black w/yellow but be shure to check it first) and 87 to your new lights
Okay all of your replies have helped alot but one more thing. I've never put in a relay so maybe this is a dumb question but what do the numbers 30,85,86,87 mean? Are they corresponding the relay somehow? Oh and yes I currently have a 15 amp inline fuse between the switch and hot power wire I'm using now that I'll use for the relay.

Quick Reply: wiring running lights to parking lights