2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overdrive Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006 | 10:48 PM
ripto
|
Captain
Default Overdrive Question

I was wondering if it would be better to have OD turned off for normal driving. Usually when I accelerate relatively fast in normal conditions I can feel it switch to OD (at least I think thats what it is?). Does this use more gas when it shifts or no and is it better to have it on or off for just everyday driving on flat roads?

Old 02-04-2006 | 11:15 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Overdrive Question

OD helps save you gas. Normal driving is when you should have it turned on. Towing is when you should have it turned off

Old 02-04-2006 | 11:26 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

OD helps save you gas. Normal driving is when you should have it turned on. Towing is when you should have it turned off
he is right but if your driving on the highway and going up hills its always good to shut OD off too

Old 02-04-2006 | 11:27 PM
nmramman

I would leave it on for normal driving. The only time I turn mine off is when I'm on a mountain Hwy (lots of curves and steep grades), cuz the constant down shifting gets annoying after a while. You should get better mileage with it on.

Old 02-04-2006 | 11:30 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

yah i shspose i live in the mountons so wen i say hill i mean a steep grade lol

Old 02-04-2006 | 11:49 PM
ripto
|
Captain

So actually when I'm accelerating fast from stop, when OD kicks in and my rpms go up high, I'm actually saving gas?

Old 02-04-2006 | 11:53 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ripto
So actually when I'm accelerating fast from stop, when OD kicks in and my rpms go up high, I'm actually saving gas?
Actually, when you accelerate from a stop, it's going to shift through the gears first. You shouldn't hit OD till at least 35-40 if you're not stepping on it hard. I know I can get to 60 in my Ram in 2nd gear. When OD kicks in, your RPMs should drop.

Old 02-05-2006 | 12:03 AM
ripto
|
Captain

oh alright I didn't know that. So when I'm driving up this one hill, my speed drops to around 30-35mph when I'm going up it. I feel it shift and my rpms shoot up, that isn't OD, just a lower gear?

Old 02-05-2006 | 12:26 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

oh alright I didn't know that. So when I'm driving up this one hill, my speed drops to around 30-35mph when I'm going up it. I feel it shift and my rpms shoot up, that isn't OD, just a lower gear?
That's your transmission dropping out of OD to climb the hill.

This may give you an idea as to what OD is: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...nsmission8.htm

Old 02-05-2006 | 02:59 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

yah OD is your top gear so your lowest RPM to speed ratio (high speed with low rpm) because your output shaft is auchually turning faster than your input shaft on the tranny wen your going up a hill your TC (torque converter) will unlock and you will mostlikley drop a gear or two depending how hard you step on it and how steep the hill is. if your doing 30-35 (im asuming MPH) depending how high your RPMs are, how steep the hill is and how far to the floor your foot is you are ither going from 3rd gear to 2nd or 2nd to first (id guess your going 3rd-2nd thow)

Quick Reply: Overdrive Question