2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Keyless Entry??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Silver1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Entry??

I have what may prove to be a stupid question: My truck did not originally come with remote keyless locks. I found a factory remote on ebay and it says it comes with free programming, I dont know if I can make it work on my truck since it wasnt equipped with it, and If I can make it work, what other parts might I need to buy and how complicated is the install? I want the factory parts and not a cheap generic key fob, so I hope there is an easy way to do it.
I like a challenge but I want to know what I am getting into....
Thanks ahead of time!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:59 PM
8t5gt
Veteran
Default RE: Keyless Entry??

i dont know from experience whats involved, but i think youd be getting yourself into a big mess. just my 2 cents. the wirring and stuff involved seems complicated :\

Old 03-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Silver1500
Professional

Thats what I was thinking too. I was kinda hoping there would be a quick easy way. The truck has power locks, just not a remote. Hopefully all the wiring will be there and I wont have to mess with too much but ill admit Ive never had any experience working on keyless entry systems so I am completely clueless.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Silver_Power
Veteran

Im going from no power locks at all to keyless.. running me 400 with keyless start and alarm. But I couldnt tell you about just programming the remote.. sorry bud. Free Bump.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Silver1500
Professional

Yea I was looking at the remote start/unlock systems but I have a 5 Speed and I think I would have to leave it out of gear if I got a remote starter, I dont really like that idea especially in the winter time.... Does anybody know any more specific details about rigging up keyless entry to a truck with power locks??

Old 03-09-2008, 02:08 PM
erikb45
Veteran

if you have power locks it is very easy and reasonable to have someone install it.

i would recommend that you get the remote start key less entry package all together i ve seen them around here for 200 installed for a good brand. ive never done it myself but i heard its not that bad. i always get it installed and save my time and headache

Old 03-09-2008, 02:31 PM
kowboydmac
All Star

I've done stereo systems, and if I recall correctly, installing a remote is like installing a speaker. It's just you have to find the power, source, ground and adapt the reciever somewhere where the radio will reach without interference. Now, when it comes to powering an alarm and all that, then it takes some sticky steps which I won't try explaining, because I don't know.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
White Ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with erikb45.

I looked into doing it myself for $45 - looked like a big pain in the butt. Looked like it would take me an entire weekend. Instead, I paid the local car stereo place to do it for $200, including the parts. Dropped it off in the morning, picked it up in the afternoon. Keyless entry and remote start.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:25 PM
my1500.net
Rookie

When I got my truck I sent for the build sheet as many here have & saw that it was equipped with keyless entry but a key fob was not included. I looked on ebay & found the correct one for $14 but then found out that the dealer needed to program the remote which after a call to the dealer the price was like $86 which pissed me off.

I started looking around for an alternative, Bulldog security did a 2 way keyless entry with remote start & it also had a spare channel because it has a button for popping the trunk which being a truck was not needed but I also found a latching relay setup that is an option for Viper alarms & sold separately.

Bottom line is for $100 which is about what it would have cost for the factory key fob I now have keyless entry, remote start & the unused circuit that I added the latching setup to now triggers the relay for my off-road lights. This may seem strange but let me explain, I live in a national forest & there are no street lights with very dense trees so if I hear a noise in front of the house I hit the button & can see all the way up my street from the house & have scarred away may coyotes & 1 bear.

Having the remote start has been so nice, when it snows instead of going out to start the truck to let it warm up & then scraping off the snow & ice. I can start it from the warmth of the house & as long as I remembered to turn on the defroster on high the night before, after a few mins of running I can go up & slide the snow/ice off of the windshield & hood in 1-2 pushes.

Just thought I would share this with you.[/align]

Old 03-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Silver1500
Professional

[quote]ORIGINAL: my1500.net

Bottom line is for $100 which is about what it would have cost for the factory key fob I now have keyless entry, remote start & the unused circuit that I added the latching setup to now triggers the relay for my off-road lights. This may seem strange but let me explain, I live in a national forest & there are no street lights with very dense trees so if I hear a noise in front of the house I hit the button & can see all the way up my street from the house & have scarred away may coyotes & 1 bear.

Thats pretty clever, I like the idea of having a remote start system but like i said: I have the 5 speed so i would have to run a bypass on the switch that wont allow the engine to start unless the clutch is pushed in. The only thing i dont like is having to leave the truck out of gear in order to use the remote start, I dont like setting the parking brake in the winter time, which is when I would want to use the remote start... It has never happened to me yet but I imagine having the parking brake froze up would really blow...
That is the main reason I would like to just get the factory remote and not worry about a remote starter. I looked at my window sticker (dont have the build sheet) and it just says power locks and nothing about keyless entry. I dont imagine it can be too hard if I just get a factory receiver and find out where it is supposed to go then take it to the dealer and get the thing flashed or programmed.
I suppose carrying wheel chocks around in the winter wont be too bad (kinda dorky at worst) if i do end up getting a remote start lol

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry??