2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat location? How to change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:26 PM
xtremez28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thermostat location? How to change?

Well I changed the thermostat last night, put everything back together and the damn thing leaked on me!!! So I will have to break it back down and try again. I guess I did not get a bolt tight enough. I bought a new gasket but I did not use any kind of sealant, should I have used some??

Old 02-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: xtremez28

I bought a new gasket but I did not use any kind of sealant, should I have used some??
Ah Yeah!! Coat it good and let it set up before you put it on the housing.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: xtremez28

Well I changed the thermostat last night, put everything back together and the damn thing leaked on me!!! So I will have to break it back down and try again. I guess I did not get a bolt tight enough. I bought a new gasket but I did not use any kind of sealant, should I have used some??
#1) Did you remove the protective backing from the sticky side of the new gasket?
#2) All you need is a small bead of blue RTV around the opposite side of the gasket.

Also, make sure your work area has been wiped clean before installing the new gasket. Wipe the block with an alcohol covered rag and remove all remnants of the gasket. Same for the t-stat housing.

Quick Reply: Thermostat location? How to change?