2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat location? How to change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 02:33 AM
xtremez28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat location? How to change?

Where is the location of the thermostat and what is the best way to change it?? I really need to get it changed, but not sure of the best method. Please help. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:37 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Thermostat location? How to change?

if you follow the large radiator hose on the top of the rad that goes into the top of the engine... at the end..inside that hose .. youll find the tstat housing and inside that youll find the tstat.... from what i hear the first time changing it out is a PITA b/c theres a little tab that gets bolted behind the braket assembly for all the accessories... i think you can dremel that tab off with out having to unbolt the entire front end of the motor... but id wait for more responses on that before diving into it..

also...get a hanyes or a chiltons manual... explains a butload of info in it..along with tq specs...

Old 02-08-2006, 03:47 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

have a look at this thread... should help out alot.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_224411/tm.htm
use what you need and I recommend drilling a real small hole in the t-stat... helps avoid air pockets in the t-stat area during fillup.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:55 PM
xtremez28

Thanks... So the thermostat is inside the large hose that leads to the engine? Where do you drill the hole at in the new thermostat? Do I have to remove anything other than the hose to get to the thermostat? Thanks!!

Old 02-08-2006, 03:56 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

yeah, you'll have to take off the a/c unit (move it aside) to get good access... if your good w/tools, then you may be able to get the t-stat housing off & out w/o taking too much off. I cut the tab off the front of it to make future removals easier.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

yeah, you'll have to take off the a/c unit (move it aside) to get good access... if your good w/tools, then you may be able to get the t-stat housing off & out w/o taking too much off. I cut the tab off the front of it to make future removals easier.
When I changed mine, I didn't have to remove the A/C setup. It was a bear, and I didn't think to cut off the tab until AFTER I put everything back and then read the "How To" on this forum.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:21 PM
xtremez28

Thanks for the help. So I remove the large hose and the t-stat is right there?? where on the t-stat do you drill the hole and how large of a hole do I drill???

Old 02-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: xtremez28

Thanks for the help. So I remove the large hose and the t-stat is right there?? where on the t-stat do you drill the hole and how large of a hole do I drill???
You would be doing yourself an immense favor by going to the local parts store and purchase a copy of the Haynes manual. Study the diagrams. It will pay for itself in the future and is one of the best tools your toolbox will have.

Old 02-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Koldkut
Rookie

you can get the t-stat housing out of there without grinding off that tab, but getting it back in there is when I cut it off and just made a mark on it for my future reference.

The haynes manual is only good if you have an understanding of the vehicle, I keep shaking my head at the different ways they have to do things and how much crap they have you do when its not necessary.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:40 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I changed thermostats on 1995 5.9V8 three times before I decided to try out the manual's instructions to loosen the 14 bolts of the accessories bracket and lift it off to the side.

It is a lot easier and faster than you would think.
Afterwards you can get at the thermostat flange better
and you can inspect the little bypass hose or change it.

Those of you all that think that
'working down in the hole'
to change the thermostat
saved you a lot of time and grief
- ought to reconsider.

Quick Reply: Thermostat location? How to change?