2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trailering/Towing/Power Help/Comfort Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 06:38 AM
alex_kors
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering/Towing/Power Help/Comfort Help!

ok...so im new around here. ive got a 2000 dodge ram 3500 dually with the 5.9 V8 Gas engine. I use my truck for primarily only towing my race car to events, wether they are 1 hour away or across country this season. I have an 18Ft Open Trailer with trailer brakes and all that. Few Questions...

Im wondering what my options are for more power (turbo, supercharge, exhaust, ecu..etc etc) to make towing a bit easier up hill and such, the 5.9 i relize probably wasnt the best option for this but ide like to try and work with what ive got.

Does anyone makes trailer dampeners/stabilzers as my trailer feels a little loose while im driving sometimes and sways easily...its a little unsettling.

Who makes the best "bang for your buck" extended/extendable mirrors for towing that replace the entire OEM mirrors.

Does anyone make any seats for this truck that are more comfortable for long drives like anything more than 2 hours and my *** starts to hurt. (driving across country made my *** numb for weeks!)

Has anyone had the rear tailgate bottom hinge pieces break?! Mine broke and I have no tailgate on, Im not sure how I can go about fixing it if i can go to the dealer and get replacement pieces that would be great.

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Old 02-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Ram_sport96
Professional
Default RE: Trailering/Towing/Power Help/Comfort Help!

You are right... the 5.9L Gas engine wasn't the best idea... the 5.9 liter diseal would have been much better for towing...

What Gear set-up did your truck come with?

The 5.9L's main problem, out of the box, is that it is too choked down. Get yourself some Long Tube Headers (better for torque) a free flowing exhaust like a gibson or dynomax, get the hypertech reprogramer, a Fast Man Throttle body, a new intake and a cold air intake set-up and you should see some very noticeable gains...

What seats came in your truck? Did you get the basic flat vinal bench... 40/20/40 split bench... bucket seats? I have a '96 and my seats are very comfortable but I have noticed that the later model Gen 2 seats were kind of stiff. Find some plush leather seat covers with all of the padding on the inside...

Old 02-08-2006, 02:13 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

welcome to DF...

your best bet is to get a 408 stroker motor www.krcperformance.com has an RV setup that would do great towing.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:13 PM
alex_kors

ORIGINAL: Ram_sport96

You are right... the 5.9L Gas engine wasn't the best idea... the 5.9 liter diseal would have been much better for towing...

What Gear set-up did your truck come with?

The 5.9L's main problem, out of the box, is that it is too choked down. Get yourself some Long Tube Headers (better for torque) a free flowing exhaust like a gibson or dynomax, get the hypertech reprogramer, a Fast Man Throttle body, a new intake and a cold air intake set-up and you should see some very noticeable gains...

What seats came in your truck? Did you get the basic flat vinal bench... 40/20/40 split bench... bucket seats? I have a '96 and my seats are very comfortable but I have noticed that the later model Gen 2 seats were kind of stiff. Find some plush leather seat covers with all of the padding on the inside...
Not sure what my Gear set the truck came with, are there any easy ways to figure it out?

ill look into that stuff, that doesnt sound like all that much money and if itll help torque im in!

the seats are like basic cloth seats, with power on only the drivers side. 40/20/40 for sure though. ill try and find some leather seat covers, they all look kind of tacky though maybe ill have the seats reapolstered or something.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:33 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rease makes good stabaliser bars for tralers, **** makes good mirror extentions check out http://www.ttt-mirror.com/ gor nice (but a bit more pricey) tow mirrors, Olfa and Fia make nice looking seat covers

Old 02-09-2006, 06:07 AM
alex_kors

ORIGINAL: ryans590

Rease makes good stabaliser bars for tralers, **** makes good mirror extentions check out http://www.ttt-mirror.com/ gor nice (but a bit more pricey) tow mirrors, Olfa and Fia make nice looking seat covers
thanks! thats exactly what i was looking for.

now if i could figure out my tailgate situation ill be all set.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:52 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you still have the pece that broke off? if so just weld it back on

Old 02-09-2006, 05:43 PM
alex_kors

the pieces on the bottom looked plastic but im not sure how they'd be replaced.

Old 02-10-2006, 11:35 PM
kossuth
Professional

ORIGINAL: alex_kors

Not sure what my Gear set the truck came with, are there any easy ways to figure it out?

ill look into that stuff, that doesnt sound like all that much money and if itll help torque im in!

the seats are like basic cloth seats, with power on only the drivers side. 40/20/40 for sure though. ill try and find some leather seat covers, they all look kind of tacky though maybe ill have the seats reapolstered or something.
Look under the hood by the hood latch, it should say. Most likely you have 4.10's being it is a dually. It should pull pretty good. I know my 1/2 ton with the 5.9 does ok. I recommend a 3" catback on it. Another thing I did was I ported the stock intake. I shortened and radiused the runners alittle. Some say this takes away from bottom end power but mine has actually increased. Plenium area actually increased if you think about it because I removed material from the intake making it larger. Like I said it made my mileage and such go up.