2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tune-up options What to use????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 08:27 PM
livinginh
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune-up options What to use????

Ok, I am getting ready for a full tune up on my 97 5.9 V8. What brands of plug's, wires, cap, rotor etc? Do you guys recomend as the best. I use the truck as a dailly driver and haul and tow at times. So I want all around the best products that I can buy for it. Not the most expensive and I know that is not always the best.

Any and all sugestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tune-up options What to use????

I use Champion Truck Plugs. The good cap and rotor from NAPA has brass contacts - which is what you want. I went with the high-dollar MSD 8.5mm wires, but as long as you get a GOOD set of wires from NAPA or somewhere you would be fine. Just don't buy the cheapest they have. Make sure to reroute the wires exactly as they are now to avoid misfire problems. I had to print off a diagram of the plug routing order on the dist cap because there is not enough room to "take wires off old cap and put on the new one" You'll see when you try to get to the cap how tight it is. I unhooked all the wires from the cap, changed the cap and rotor, and then changed the plugs and wires one at a time. Another tip: make sure you get the rotor seated properly when you change it. I have read on the forum about people not getting it all the way seated and having problems ........

Quick Reply: Tune-up options What to use????