2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

supercharged 5.9 no power

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:34 PM
aj_thompson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: supercharged 5.9 no power

yeah i meant ss silverado and im getting a magnaflow cat and glasspacks hopefully friday for $280 installed but the computer is $400ish and i dont want to put that much on the credit card and its time for an oil change tommorrow night i picked up some synthetic oil the good stuff $8 per quart i couldnt stop myself but she better set free after this
and one thing i missed i put the supercharger exhaust and ignition all over a year and a half ago and it was running right back then id race the ricers and win and being from a smaller town couldnt get trucks to race me they all knew what i had
and i cant see where the ss can be ordered with a supercharger and with a 6.0 my supercharged 5.9 shouldnt be so slow ill let everyone know hopefully by friday night

Old 02-16-2006, 01:14 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yea if that cat ends up not helping as much as it should...then start leaning towards the plenum gasket and/or timing chain..

with the boost your running they should be swapped out anyway...garuntee there still robbing power from your motor... with a charger man that thing should be cracking some road

Old 02-16-2006, 01:54 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hot ignitions can be hard on caps and rotors. What are your plugs gapped at? With a s/c should be at .035 or less w/5.9. S/C engines need the ignition, cap, cap, rotor, wires and plugs to be in top conidtion.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:59 AM
shott8283

not to jack the thread but indy ... im goin to put on my msd ignition .. could i get away with .40 gapped? or should i stick with 35

Old 02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NP hijacker lol. Naturally aspirated IMHO wires or wires n coil .040. Wires, coil and box go .045. Some go .050 but I tend to go on the conservative side. If your running s/c, turbo or nitrous best to go back to a stock .035 or lower depending on how much booost/spray your running.

With my new motor and more boost Ill be reducing mine to a fat .030

thing should be cracking some road
I like that, may have to use it myself

Old 02-16-2006, 05:43 PM
shott8283

awesome thanks indy!! box wire and coils will be on this weekend

i really gotta stop hijacking... sorry aj

Old 02-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Tani1500
Champion

yea stop hyjacking people threads you damn terrorist! hahaha ill give you 500 for the SC

Old 02-17-2006, 12:22 AM
aj_thompson

i got my exhaust done a little quicker than i had thought i got a magnaflow high-flow cat 3" in 3" then its adapted down to 2.5" they didnt have time and i didnt want to throw down the $ to swap out the chunk with the sensor then y-d to 2 2.5" glasspacks then out the end and it sounds meaner than ever not that damn farm truck sound that i had from just cat-back y-d off and it runs better than ever i think im gonna have problems keeping tread on my tires ill have to go back to factory wheels and tires for a while now all i have to do is find that ss silverado again and put that chevy in its place (in some parking lot trying to look pretty and not even getting the job done) im gonna try to get a dyno run soon to see how shes really doing but if you see some guy walking around with a huge grin on his face in the next couple of weeks that might be me
and the plugs are just the cheapo copper ones gapped at .035

Old 02-17-2006, 12:38 AM
shott8283

so all you got done is the magnaflow muffler? the stock cat is still there? glad to hear that your problem is fixed!!!! i still suggest workin on the intake plenum and timing chain..
ORIGINAL: aj_thompson

i got my exhaust done a little quicker than i had thought i got a magna flow 3" in 3" then its adapted down to 2.5" they didnt have time and i didnt want to throw down the $ to swap out the chunk with the sensor then y-d to 2 2.5" glasspacks then out the end and it sounds meaner than ever not that damn farm truck sound that i had from just cat-back y-d off and it runs better than ever i think im gonna have problems keeping tread on my tires ill have to go back to factory wheels and tires for a while now all i have to do is find that ss silverado again and put that chevy in its place (in some parking lot trying to look pretty and not even getting the job done) im gonna try to get a dyno run soon to see how shes really doing but if you see some guy walking around with a huge grin on his face in the next couple of weeks that might be me
and the plugs are just the cheapo copper ones gapped at .035

Old 02-17-2006, 12:54 AM
zipper

I personally am very surprised you have had no problems with this until now since you are are supercharged and have no method of changing your stock computer settings. If your state is pretty lenient on emissions toss a straight pipe in where the cat is and you will be doing well. When the supercharger was installed did someone tune it for you and you just don't recall? I am not giving you a hard time but I think others are trying to prevent you from having some SERIOUS and expensive engine problems running boost (even low boost at 6 lbs.) without a proper tune.

Quick Reply: supercharged 5.9 no power