2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gettin' a ram

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:09 AM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gettin' a ram

Well after shoppin' around, I decided on a ram instead of a Ford Bronco. I like the looks of the ram and also it seems people get better mpg than the bronco. I was just wonderin' what all to look for. I know to check for signs of abuse like dents on the underside on the differential casing and rust, paint chips. I also know to run it on dry pavement and check for oil drips, but I was just wonderin', is this a good move? I would love to have a truck, I don't want a car, but I just need a weekend 4x4 and weekly fixer upper.

-BigRig

Old 02-16-2006, 12:16 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gettin' a ram

make shure it hasent had a snow plow on the front of it you should see some holes driled in the frame just front of the wheelwell and/or ittl have diffrent bolts in the trac bar brackets, there also could be extra holes in the crosbeam just beind the bumper (depending on the brand) snowplows are hard on the front end aswell as they put exesof strain on the driveline. i dont know where you live so i dont know if this pertains to you but thats something else to look for, also take it for a drive and make shure its shifting good and solid (if its an auto) the trannys are knowen to go bad earley

Old 02-16-2006, 12:24 AM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ryans590 i dont know where you live so i dont know if this pertains to you
Ouch, me a minnesotan no? Yeah, definily have to watch for that. Also a sign of abuse. Thanks for the save. I've seen some nice ones around here. Alot of them are in the range of the broncos except the rams have less miles on 'em. All replies will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Make sure to see if the tranny has been rebuild or regularly serviced. Some people have had really bad experiances with the trannies in these, but taken care of they're good. Mine has 112k on the original.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:28 AM
alexo1us

I have also just joined. I had my jeep stolen a few months ago hadn't had the want to get another before now she was my baby
wife told me time to get over it so i started looking around don't have the heart to get another jeep but wanted somtin different
I gonna RAM it.
Just looking for some quick info I wanted to go big so I have decided to get a 2500 with the Cummins Never had one before so it will be a new experence; I want the extended cab but I want the one with the small back doors not the newer version with the full doors
What years have these.
Anything I should watch for during my crusing around I know there are most likely lots of stuff but the biggy is what I want to watch for as long as I can find a solid truck even if it is not perfect I can fix it up I have the skill set to do it and it is my hobby from Computors. I also have all the diagnostics equipment for dodge products a left over from my jeep
What til the sales guy sees me hook up my laptop.
Alex[8D]

Old 02-16-2006, 07:27 AM
daimler_ch5

fixin a truck up is a lot different than fixing a computer up... but the 2500 is a good choice. the body with the smaller swing out doors ran from 94 until 02, but i think that the doors came later in the run, like 96 or 97, cuz ive looked at a couple 94-95 trucks that had the ex cab and no back doors. also watch the tranny on these, a lot of guys do some pretty heavy towing behind that cummins.

to big rig
just what year range ram are you looking at? i ask because since 85 some have had CAD axles in the front (called ramtrak back then) and since 94 all of them have. its still a fairly solid system, and my 95 is plenty capable off- road, but if you are looking for a wheelin' truck id try to find one without it. just a prefrence of mine, a lot of guys will tell you that the cad is strong, but i do know that the break more u-joints at the hub than the straight axles (yes, i realize cad is technically a straight axle, but you all get what i mean, right?)
also, if you can, find one with a manual transmission, it will save you a lot of headaches.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
alexo1us

ORIGINAL: daimler_ch5

fixin a truck up is a lot different than fixing a computer up... but the 2500 is a good choice. the body with the smaller swing out doors ran from 94 until 02, but i think that the doors came later in the run, like 96 or 97, cuz ive looked at a couple 94-95 trucks that had the ex cab and no back doors. also watch the tranny on these, a lot of guys do some pretty heavy towing behind that cummins.
Boy don't I know it, and fixen a jeep is not like anything else ether but she was a heck of lot of fun. I have done TC upgrade, exhaust, lift and the whole line of maintenance procedures bout the only thing I do have problems with is body work so as long as there is no major crap wrong with the body and frame it can be fixed from my side anyway.
I have seen something here during my lurking around here.
I have seen that there is a 12 valve version and 24 valve versions which is the more reliable version? One thing I picked up with my jeep and it seems to be the same issue here Guess being built by Chrysler.
But the jeep too had issues with tranys but this was found to be due to the fact the transmission doesn't start pumping fluid around in Park Something to do with the way it flows or doesn't flow in park. Now I had trouble believing in this at first but I did prove the issue by starting up on a cold day when n park I get the typical whine as soon as I put it N it went away. This is one of the issues causing the limited life cycle. Can be fixed by adding the transgo shift kit.
My self I found that most of the issues although a PIA at the best of times were for the most part avoidable by correct maintenance and habits. My flakey Trans had 240,000 km on and still going strong Different trany on the Cummins. I'm sure there will be a whole new bunch of things to watch for on the 2500 but I will do as I did for my jeep first stop is FSM.
My jeep was one of the best I have owned over the years I had an old Power Wagon 79 she had the 318 with the 4 speed I read here last night these things will pull down a mountain. and if you could get the traction it just may, my power wagon pull a fully loaded 3 ton dump truck loaded out of mud using a chain between my truck and the tow truck which was hooked to the dump truck tow guy wanted a anchor when he still couldn’t pull it he asked me to see if I could move them along I was on the road that was just paved.
Bottom line the dump truck came out, the Chevy tow truck got a bent frame and the new road had two ruts dig into it from my tires spinning the bill for the road repairs went to the towing company. I had fun and proved nothing beats a RAM.
I can only imagine the power I'll have with the Cummins.
Alex

Old 02-16-2006, 07:34 PM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran

Way to steal my thread Alex. Just jokin', welcome to the forums!
Thanks for the info daimler, I am lookin' for a mid 90s, somethin' around a 95. The 2004 has a problem where it loves to downshift. We get near the lower rpms and it immediatly goes down a gear. But I've heard the trannys aren't the greatest, also have a 96 Sebring and that has had some big problems too. Just got the water pump, serpintine and timing belt replaced. We had to give it to the dealer 'cause we don't have the cam reallignment tool. But yeah I'd like to get the older style.

-BigRig

P.S., Hey Alex, you're goin' from a Jeep to a cummins? There's a change. How much was the Jeep worth to get a 2500??

Old 02-17-2006, 03:32 AM
alexo1us

Ya sorry bout dat I tend to ramble yes it is a big change I had a Grand LTD loaded I got use the comfort
The 79 I had was plain Jane but she took me anywhere I wanted to go. Let a buddy take her up north one weekend and he rolls her
Flip her back over and drove her home, SOB left in my drive way with out coming in.
Took me about a week to find a donor truck it was a 92. Body style little different but the doors and box and hood and fenders went right on she was good a new.
I figure it will cost in 20-25 grand CAD to get what I want. Didn't get any where near that for my Jeep I told them to replace it for what they were giving me?
Ya right like that was going to happen.
I have a boat although my jeep had no issues I want to go bigger even though fuel is more money per liter I figure with the better MPG it will pay for it self in fuel alone.
OPPs sorry I did it again.
Alex
BTW started my looking tonight saw 3 but not what I want completely one had all the options but it was black I do not want another Black one too dam hot in the summer even with the air.
I almost forgot liked the long ear passenger I have two, my oldest has been with me on every trip she loves to get out and test the mud for me. by the time we get home we are all covered in it. God I love leather cleans up much better the cloth.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:45 AM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran

ORIGINAL: alexo1us

Ya sorry bout dat I tend to ramble yes it is a big change
Don't worry, long as it's on topic. I did more searchin' and found a 95, 130,000 miles, no rust, 5.9L V8, rebuilt transmission, new spark plugs and bulbs, brand new crankshaft and timing belt. Only $4,000. Sound good eh? Oh yeah, the cam shafts are alligned perfectly.

Quick Reply: Gettin' a ram