2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mounting towing hooks

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 01:51 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: mounting towing hooks

personaly id use gr5 bolts insted of gr8, gr 5 is more for a dynamic load (raped change in load direction) where as gr 8 is more for a stadic load (constent force) the gr 5 will flex more and take more abuse if your jerking on them and a gr 8 is more likley to shear off i know it sounds wierd because gr 8 is susposto be stronger (whitch they are in difffernt aplications)but for this id use gr5

Old 02-23-2006, 02:01 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx for the tip, ive heard that somewhere else before also. This kit that i got with the hook comes with two bolts.... but the kit doesnt list their grade. would it be wise to go to a hardware store and get some grade 5s to make sure im gettin the right ones?
plus if i use the instructions that thump186 left (in the first thumbnail), id need longer bolts anyways. (the ones that came with the kit are only about 2 inches long- maybe 2 1/2)

Old 02-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Look at the top of the bolts, that will tell you the grade. For example, 6 little marks or lines on time is a grade 8 bolt. 3 marks on top will be a grade 5.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:17 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

thanx for the tip, ive heard that somewhere else before also. This kit that i got with the hook comes with two bolts.... but the kit doesnt list their grade. would it be wise to go to a hardware store and get some grade 5s to make sure im gettin the right ones?
plus if i use the instructions that thump186 left (in the first thumbnail), id need longer bolts anyways. (the ones that came with the kit are only about 2 inches long- maybe 2 1/2)

in the bottem right corrner of the 1st attachemnt that thump186 left it shows you the diff between gr5 and gr8 id use the bolts they gave you unless there too short and it is better to go through both sides of the frame IF you put something between it so you dont squish it wen u tighten it or pull hard on the hooks

Old 02-23-2006, 02:18 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

and no marks would be........ cheap? cuz these dont have any markings on them. i guess ill go buy some grade 5s just to be safe.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:21 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ryans590-- yea i read that part about being careful not to squish the frame- but what would i put in there? a block of steel? the attachment talks about 'tubing'- what type of tubing is it talkin about?

Old 02-23-2006, 02:34 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

ryans590-- yea i read that part about being careful not to squish the frame- but what would i put in there? a block of steel? the attachment talks about 'tubing'- what type of tubing is it talkin about?

the best thing to go would be to get some pipe with a ID slightley bigger that the bolt cut it to the size of the inside of the frame then put the bold in the hook then the first layer of the frame into the pipe out the outherside of the frame then a good washer losc washer and a nut you could use square tubing standing up in the frame too insed of pipe

Old 02-23-2006, 02:40 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

do you have a suggestion for the thickness of the pipe? and by the way thanx so much for all this help

Old 02-23-2006, 02:46 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

not that thick 1/8-1/4 id auchually go the same thickness as your frame and no worries thats why were here lol

Old 03-19-2006, 08:03 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ok bringing up an older topic here.

i finally got around to going out to intsall this tow hook. but somethings not right. i can only find on place on the frame to mount this hook on the front; and it interferes with the bumper bracket! (so i guess i cant find any place to mount it)

taking off the fromt bumper has been on my mind anyways, does anyone have a picture of a Ram with no front bumper? this is very frustrating, i never guessed mounting this stupid hook would give me any trouble at all.

ANY help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: mounting towing hooks