2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

UPDATE: Please Look...Strange rattling/knocking/squeking noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Sehr916
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strange rattling/knocking/squeking noise from front end

Im having troubles finding replacement wheel bearings for my truck. Hopefully someone could help me search. Its a 2000 1500 2WD 5.9L. Thanks

Old 03-11-2006, 08:38 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Sehr916
Im having troubles finding replacement wheel bearings for my truck. Hopefully someone could help me search. Its a 2000 1500 2WD 5.9L. Thanks
Have you checked NAPA? Autozone? Checker? Bumper To Bumper?

I remember someoen saying that NAPA had them.

Otherwise you could always order them direct: www.chryslerpartsdirect.com

Old 03-12-2006, 01:01 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

This is a long shot, but I had a strange squeaky noise under the left front of my truck forever that I couldn't find. Saw something on another forum - and it worked. I sprayed white lithium spray grease on the steering shaft connection by the p.s. pump, and on all the shifter linkage pivot points. Noise gone. Try it, it was cheap....

Old 03-12-2006, 01:27 AM
nolazach
Veteran

I had same problem the bearings are very inexpensive, the outer are like $10 a piece, the ineer maybe $30. When I took my wheel off, and popped the berring cover I could see the problem. Not every one is that lucky. Play in the wheel could also be ball joints which are pretty expensive, buy them on Ebay thats the best price of coures new, never get these used. If your problem sounds like bad CV joints (can crumpling noise) then it is probably just your outer wheel bearing. Make sure you put the red bearing greese well into the bearings. This is a very easy procedure and will not take very long, google "dodge ram bearing change -4x4" or get a haynes manual. Probably a 95% chance that it is your bearings and that is not a big deal, just take a few hours out your time and change them. I wouldn't even buy NAPA or OEM parts here because the quality is not that much better on bearings.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Sehr916
Veteran

The only place i have seen bearings for my perticular truck (2000 TWO WHEEL DRIVE 5.9) is on makeitmopar.com and you can only get the hub as well and its over $100. Thanks for thehelp

Old 03-13-2006, 12:02 AM
nolazach
Veteran

I didn't think there was that much of a difference between 5.2 and 5.9, it really dosen't make any sense unless dodge changed the front end on the 2000 model. I guess that means you have the chevy style hubs and bearings, good luck there a bitch.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:04 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

Thanks, I have only checked online so this week i'll go to kragen, napa, autozone, etc to see if they have the bearings. Anyone know the measurements of the cotter pin so i can get some new ones. I was told that cant be reused. Thanks for the help

Old 03-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

After reading through chilton's and the service manual Ive come to the conclusion that you're right about the chevy style. In chilton's there is a section for the rams up to 99 which shows an outter and inner bearing like you originally describes then a seperate section for 2000 with a hub/bearing assembly. For the 2000 it says that a certain nut (dont remember which one) cant be reused. Is this true? In the 2001 Service Manual it shows the same hub/bearing assembly... why did dodge change to this system?

Edit: here is a screen from the service manual...is this the chevy style you are talking about?

Old 03-13-2006, 12:41 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

would the bearings really make a rattling noise? i thought it would make a humming or roaring noise if they were going bad?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:59 AM
nolazach
Veteran

Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking about, actually it isn't all that hard to disassemble, its just the parts cost. Most auto-tech guys will say thes are supperior bearings, its just a strange design. I think it might just be one those things manufactures do. I looked it up and they are also supposedly more reliable.
That bolt you are talking about, I reused mine and I have even re-used cotter pins before. I don't see why a part should be changed if it dosen't show wear, but in this case failure would be horrible. I am still getting over having a tire guy stripping my lugs and then reusing them, I lost my tire at 70mph on the longest bridge in the world, with no shoulders that was the worst. So I guess it is best to follow manufacturers reccomendations, though that had nothing to do with my problem. I tried to upload a edit of your picture highlighting the bolt in question, the file wasn't supported. The nut is the one that holds the whole assembly on ( the big one on the right)

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Please Look...Strange rattling/knocking/squeking noise from front end