2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

odd RPM change all of a sudden-UPDATE on the UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: odd RPM change all of a sudden

Sounds like you found a smart mechanic. I have a question though....14 quarts of tranny fluid? I haven't actually changed mine (I seem to get regular transmission changes instead....hee hee) that seems like a lot. Does it have a deep pan on it or something?

Old 03-13-2006, 05:46 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Shott - did the guy take your old tranny apart? Just curious to know exactly what happened to it. Hope the new one is working well

Old 03-13-2006, 01:09 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

oh yea

crap sorry lol

the torque converter lining started to come apart, along with some little metal bits from the impellar/turbine well the lining that came apart started to clog my factory cooler along with some of the channels in the vavle body,,,, in the end my torque converter went to comeplete failure and my OD and half of 3rd gear was smoked....;

he said if i drove another 15 more miles.... id be dog legging it on 1st gear only

the pan looks alot larger but i cant remember what the old one looks like now... its nice the thing is all shiney!

Old 03-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I had my tranny rebuilt by the dealer under warranty about 6 months ago. They replaced the converter and the valve body as well as the tranny guts. I hope the converter was one of the good ones that won't come apart like that. I dont have a clue when the good ones came out, and I don't know how to find out if the one they put in IS one of the good ones. My factory warranty goes to 100k miles though...so I can get another one if this one breaks too. I just thought the 14 quarts sounded a little excessive. I haven't read the manual though - never had to change the fluid myself - the dealer keeps having to do it when the thing breaks........[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-13-2006, 01:56 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

with a new torque converter they use like 2 quarts to prime it... then with the bigger trans cooler and i think i got a larger pan too... looks bigger to me then the old one did

if you got a new torque fly torque converter then its prolly the correct one... they revised it once then once again... the 3rd revision is the winner... it has a think rubber lining inside that doesnt break apart as aposed to the old paper lining of the 1st and 2nd revisions.

Quick Reply: odd RPM change all of a sudden-UPDATE on the UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!