2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Third Brake-Light, Bed Topper

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 11:33 AM
allmopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third Brake-Light, Bed Topper

I recently purchased a bed shell/topper (not a full-blown camper) and I want to get the third brake light connected since the one on the cab is now hidden. The prev owner had used a 4-pin flat connector (like from a trailer harness) for simple connect/disconnect when installing/removing the topper. I thought this was a good idea so I tried to do the same application. I went in to the left taillight assembly for power. I got the brake light to "work", but the problem is that when I turn on the left blinker, the third brake also blinks. Is is possible to get the combination of wires that I need, at the rear of the vehicle? Or do I need to run something up front somewhere? I'm a novice with auto wiring, so maybe I should go to a pro?

Old 03-10-2006, 01:52 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Third Brake-Light, Bed Topper

well you can do 1 of 2 things
1 run a wire from your CHMBL (center hight mount break light) to the canopy this way it will onlu be the breaks that come on
2 get a tail light converter it will seporate the flashing (sig lights) fron the solid (break lights) its made for vehicles that have seprate sig and break lights (the ones with the amber in there tail lights) to convert them to 1 for trailers
the reson your having this problem is becuse the truck uses the same wire for the sig lights and break lights so you splices into the left sig/break light #1 would be the easest by the way

Old 03-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Chopper1
All Star

I took a picture of where they connected my shell brake light wire. It is under the hood on the drivers side fenderwell right next to the steering knuckle and brake line clips. The plug isn't used and has plugs in the open ends. Assuming it was for factory trailer wiring. It is a 4 wire plug, with red, yellow, white with a tan/brown stripe, and another. They clipped on to the white with brown/tan strip for a brake light and got the ground from the rear of the truck. If it doesn't atach email me and I can send it.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29187/7A8EF3623E454F838D6AD146BB5A3F07.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2006, 07:36 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

id just redo it the way i sed above and take those horrable scotch locks out of ther and fix the wire you wil have problems with corotion there

run a wire from your CHMBL (center hight mount break light) to the canopy this way it will only be the breaks that come on, you can get to it by removing the drivers side door sill then test and see what light coms on wen u step on the breaks, splice into it drill a small hole through the bottem of the sill chanel to run the wire out and silicone it wen you have he wire through then run it to your canopy. you can put in a plug if you want then ground it (through the same 2 pin plug) to the frame

Old 03-13-2006, 03:46 AM
Chopper1
All Star

It's been there for 7 years with no problem. Figure if it ever corodes, 2 minutes to replace.

The wires come up through one of the stake pockets with a set of insulated male and female stakons and a piece of wire loom to protect it where they come out. The connectors were a good thought so when I take the shell off, I can disconnect them and tuck out of the way for hauling.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:28 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Chopper1

It's been there for 7 years with no problem. Figure if it ever corodes, 2 minutes to replace.

yah but wen id duz corode you wond have break lights whitch can be a really bad thing if your driving round town lots and thats not something you usally notice on your own cuz you half to step on the breaks to see lol. i hate those scotch locks worst thing they came out with, if pepole used them appropratley thayd be fine but you see them everywhere...sorry to rant ive just had to fix way too manny probmens because of them especally wen it would only take 30 sec longer to do it right the first time

but i agree with ya those plugs are a good idea

Old 03-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Which ever way you do it, just be sure to protect the wires from metal. Ty-raps and rubber grommets will save future issues. If you run it through the cab floor, stop by the local auto parts hardware/help section and get a rubber grommet to add in sealing the hole and protect the wires. The wire may be the same color there also but it probably isn't.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:43 PM
BFG
Rookie

You don't have to go all the way to the front of the truck.

Dodge has a wire at the very back of the truck for this specific application.
If you don't know where to look you will never know it is there.
It is underneath just up and behind the license plate area.
It is ONE wire all by itself.
I have a cap on my 99 and the cap has the 3rd brake light in it along with an interior light.
I pull a 5th wheel for camping so I take the cap off in the summer.
I used a flat 4pin connector to hook-up the cap to power for the light inside and for the 3rd brake light.
Take your truck to ANY place that sells toppers/caps and they "should" know where the wire is that I am talking about.
It will take 10 seconds for them to show you if you can't find it your self.

Hey RYAN... good spellin' buddy!

Old 03-13-2006, 02:00 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: BFG

You don't have to go all the way to the front of the truck.

Dodge has a wire at the very back of the truck for this specific application.
If you don't know where to look you will never know it is there.
It is underneath just up and behind the license plate area.
It is ONE wire all by itself.
I have a cap on my 99 and the cap has the 3rd brake light in it along with an interior light.
I pull a 5th wheel for camping so I take the cap off in the summer.
I used a flat 4pin connector to hook-up the cap to power for the light inside and for the 3rd brake light.
Take your truck to ANY place that sells toppers/caps and they "should" know where the wire is that I am talking about.
It will take 10 seconds for them to show you if you can't find it your self.

Hey RYAN... good spellin' buddy!

there is only a wire at the back if you have the factory tow package, i dident wanna explain 2 ways so i just sed the one what will work on them all

thanks BFG i am trying for ya lol

Quick Reply: Third Brake-Light, Bed Topper