2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

painting over scatches

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 01:59 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting over scatches

ok so a while ago i was off roading and a tree ran into me () and the scratch is pretty bad.

so i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get touch up paint that will match the color of the truck. i looked at duplicolor.com and they have a chart that supposedly if you put in your year and make, it gives you a chart of the colors they offered that year. well theres not a single blue on there for 1995. so does anyone know of any other places i can get color matching touchup paint?

and also if i did it would i need a clear coat to go on top of it?

[IMG]local://upfiles/29100/6FFBB3B9AAD34824BC7B36CFC949C75B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-13-2006, 02:14 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: painting over scatches

holy crap dude

that looks nasty

actually duplicolor does make a ratlle can of our color (intense blue pearl) the same color code too.. i have 2 cans of it .. just incase

i bought the cans at walmart and they are an awesome match... they also use the flat spray nozles for painting sides ike that.... wont come out perfect but itll look better then them gouges... id try to rub out all the scuff marks first to see how deep the scratches really are..then go from there... youd proly want a clear coat but almost all clearcoats that come in a rattle can turn out with a yellowish haze to them... prolyl can be buffed for a better finish.... u can also go to any PPG dealer and get a qt of the exact color code and use a HVLP gun... more work involed but the finish will be nicer...

Old 03-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

www.expresspaint.com

Good stuff, I got mine from there and it is a 100% match. A bit pricy but it is professional stuff. They also have some cheaper just pens and spray paint cans that are still color match.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:03 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

hm. is there a way to find out what the NAME of my color blue is? would it be in that build sheet link thing? cuz its hard to match a color on a computer screen to whats on my truck.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:32 PM
theyellowdart

If your offroading as much as posible and running in to **** all the time..... instead of fixing your scratches just bed line your truck.... on my ranger i had the rockers and bedsides done- worked awsome- may be little pricey at first but well worth it.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:04 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the name should be a mopar color Intense Blue Pearl... thast the name of mine atleast... and they are the same colors... codes might difffer...mines an 01

Old 03-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Check where the door latch is, theres a sticker on my truck there with the color code. Also the build sheet will have the code.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Sehr916
Veteran

I had a white paint scratch like that on mine and i used brake cleaner and it got it off

Old 03-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shott8283

the name should be a mopar color Intense Blue Pearl... thast the name of mine atleast... and they are the same colors... codes might difffer...mines an 01
Differant names, mine in brillant blue pearl. And yeah muddy it will be on your build sheet.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:13 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

yea that spray on bed liner (for the entire truck) had been in the back of my mind for a while. but honestly as a teenager i enjoy cruisin strips too much to get rid of that beautiful blue.

thanx so much for the help guys. does anybody know if Mako (sp?) is any good for matchin colors? the more i think about it, i may as well get the entire truck painted. cuz the hood has some serious chipping going on, and the tailgate looks horrible. still thinkin though........

Quick Reply: painting over scatches