2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

is it because the O/D is off or is something draging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 09:05 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it because the O/D is off or is something draging?

ok guys ive got a question for ya

i was driving around town last night and i have started turning off the O/D around town now i was comming down univercity hill its kinda steep but not too bad, usally (when i have the o/d on) at the top im doing about 80kmph and when i hit the bottem im at about 100km now last night i hit the top at 80 like usawell but at the bottem i hadent picked up any speed (always just costing) now will having the o/d off make this much diffrence (since it was the onlything i have changed) or is something else causing it to drag?

Old 03-18-2006, 09:21 PM
radwebster
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: is it because the O/D is off or is something draging?

that is exactly what is supposed to happen. overdrive allows you to coast when you're off the throttle, thereby saving you gas. the "dragging" effect you felt was actually engine braking, which you can use as a sort of light brake when going down hills (to keep you from gaining or holding too much speed). it allows you to use your real brakes alot less, saving wear.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:37 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Yep, thats exactly right. When your towing heavy loads its a life (and brake) saver =)

Just make sure you dont go out of overdrive when your hauling ***. Seriously, if your doing like 90mph + , i wouldnt recommend hitting the o/d off button... Could mess up your transmission / engine =D

Old 03-18-2006, 09:52 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ok thats what i was thinking just wanted to make shure i dident have a bad berring or a brake stuck on im gonna go back up tomight or tomorow and come down once with the od on and once with it off make shure im at the same speed a the top then see what the speed is at the botem and the rpms too

and yah i wouldent hit the od off button doing 90+mph lol just like i wouldent drop into first gear at 60

Old 03-19-2006, 03:05 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

i noticed something else today i dont know if its related or not but i havent really gone anywhere laitley excpt around town i know this last tank was strictley city driving and some winter warm-up ideling so anyways i filed up cuz im going out ice fishing tomorow and wanted to make shure i had lots of fuel, i was just over a quorter tank anyways. however i noticed MPG is down to 8.95 mpg is this sound alright for just city use no highway driving and some warm up time

Old 03-19-2006, 03:14 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

its been rumored that "winter" mix gasoline is crappier b/c of the colder weather..weather this is true or not who the hell knows but most people notice a drop in MPG during the winter .. mainly b/c when the egine is colder longer the PCM makes up for it by dumping extra fuel in the injectors to try to warm it up... witch is i think the cause for my horible MPG all of a sudden.....i think my PCM rode the short bus to school and majored in window licking.. my 180 deg thermo i think is making my PCM adjust the injectors too much is having a hard time realerning the new op temp....... PITA

anyway.. ive noticed a drop in mpg ever since it started to get wicked cold out... then again this is a southern truck and the firs time its EVER seen temps lower then 45 degs... im bout tired of getting MPG out of my big heavy *** truck ... i think everything i do now is just for HP and im not gonna give a crap if i start running into the single digits for MPG....

Old 03-19-2006, 03:25 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

.....i think my PCM rode the short bus to school and majored in window licking.
ROFL[sm=smiley36.gif]
i havent herd that one before with the window licking...

well this truck has seen -53 deg c wether i left it running the whole time lol i dident dare shut it off and i had a case of gas line antyfreeze i was dumping in too (not the whole case at once of corce) i had cardbord directley on the rad (not on the grill)compleatley covering it yah that was a ****ty week to half to work. yah i wasent too worried about my mpgs anyways i mean whatever it is nice if i can go further on a tank but if i was conserned about mpg i wouldent own a ram

so you guys think the thing with the od off keeping me slowed going down hill is alright thow

Old 03-19-2006, 05:09 AM
radwebster
Captain

yep, your trans is acting perfectly normal. on a side note, if you did attempt to drop your auto trans into first at 60 mph, you would cause no damage. the transmission knows which gears to be in at different speeds, and if you did drop it into first at 60, it simply would not shift down until your speed dropped below a certain mph.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ryans590
and yah i wouldent hit the od off button doing 90+mph lol just like i wouldent drop into first gear at 60
are you joking, i regularly drop it into first around 50 and ride it up to 80 then shift it out and i hear this horrible clunking sound so i put it in reverse and it goes away, then i drive into a tree.. it has saved me on brakes and what not so many times

lol, j/k [sm=gears.gif]

Old 03-19-2006, 02:57 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: radwebster

yep, your trans is acting perfectly normal. on a side note, if you did attempt to drop your auto trans into first at 60 mph, you would cause no damage. the transmission knows which gears to be in at different speeds, and if you did drop it into first at 60, it simply would not shift down until your speed dropped below a certain mph.

i thought if you manuley moved it to first it would shift there just like if you start out in first it wont shift up untill you move it to anouther gear recardless of your speed or rpm

Quick Reply: is it because the O/D is off or is something draging?