2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weak power thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:04 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weak power thoughts

wait.... God Ram It...... that truck you have... is a 'grocery getter'???????? unless you have another truck. or i missed something. wow. if thats a grocery getter, ill take it off your hands.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:46 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I don't exactly think they're useless either. I have one in my 79 Ramcharger...all original (even the spark plug wires) with 130,000 miles on it. It was used to push snow every winter since 1990...until the reverse band let go this year. And even then, I still used it for a while...just couldn't back up [8D] It was good for wheeling, back when I used it for that. It's also pulled some amazingly heavy loads with ease. Hardly useless

Something else you have to remember about the Ramchargers...they're full-time 4wd vehicles...so it has to turn ALL 4 wheels ALL the time!

Old 03-27-2006, 01:51 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Alright,,, Enough of my ***** is better or bigger. Get over it..........[sm=bicker.gif][sm=boink3.gif][sm=chairshot.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif][sm=shutup.gif]

Old 03-27-2006, 03:31 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

I don't exactly think they're useless either. I have one in my 79 Ramcharger...all original (even the spark plug wires) with 130,000 miles on it. It was used to push snow every winter since 1990...until the reverse band let go this year. And even then, I still used it for a while...just couldn't back up [8D] It was good for wheeling, back when I used it for that. It's also pulled some amazingly heavy loads with ease. Hardly useless

Something else you have to remember about the Ramchargers...they're full-time 4wd vehicles...so it has to turn ALL 4 wheels ALL the time!
I agree the older 318s were very good and had no lack off power, IM speaking more of the magnum motors. again youre comparing APPLES TO ORANGES

Old 03-27-2006, 03:39 AM
silverram99
Captain

My stock 318 pulled a 19 foot boat all over the place last summer and I never once felt like I needed to have more power. I'm sure a 360 or a 408 would be really nice but with 83k on that motor, I am driving her until the wheels fall off. I can't wait to see what difference my new mods will make. Anyways just my 2 cents.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:40 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

[/quote]

well thats maby something you should have thought have before bulding it up, i agree with the fact its a good DD but not for towing heavy wheeling ect, but motor size and what your gonna use it for is something you gotta consider when you get the truck rathetr than trying to say its chryslers fault, thats why there is the option for motor size and sounds like you shoulda went with a 360 or a V10 or maby even a diesel for your needs
[/quote]

Well in my opinion a truck is a TRUCK. You use it for work. Thats what they were created for. So to offer a truck that has a towing package and that truck not being able to tow it well thats sad.
It has a V8 which means it should have some torque. I think the 5.2 has plenty of horsepower but it lacks torque which is what you want in a truck.

as far as choosing a truck to fit my needs, well I didnt buy it for what I did to it. I did all of the stuff to it a few years after I bought it. I wouldnt have gotten a V10 or a diesel for wheeling just for the fact they are too heavy. I bought the 5.2 because of past history with the pre magnum 318.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:47 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

whats the diffrence between horsepower and torque?

Old 03-27-2006, 03:51 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

think about a diesel compared to a gas engine. The diesels have tons more torque than a gasser but the gas engine produces more horsepower typically. Thats why diesels are better for towing.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:54 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

yeah i know torque is for pulling.. but what is the horsepower for?

Old 03-27-2006, 04:00 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Main Entry: torque
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin torquEre to twist
1 : a force that produces or tends to produce rotation or torsion <an automobile engine delivers torque to the drive shaft>; also : a measure of the effectiveness of such a force that consists of the product of the force and the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the axis of rotation
2 : a turning or twisting force

horsepower:

the common unit of power; i.e., the rate at which work is done. In the British Imperial System, one horsepower equals 33,000 foot-pounds of work per minute—that is, the power necessary to lift a total mass of 33,000 pounds one foot in one minute. This value was adopted by the Scottish engineer James Watt in the late 18th century, after experiments with strong dray horses, and is actually about…

Quick Reply: Weak power thoughts