2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weak power thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:03 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weak power thoughts

what kind of lift do you have god ram it?? think i could get a 5 inch skyjacker and still keep my 3 inch spacers??

Old 03-27-2006, 04:08 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

I have a Skyjacker 5" kit with Super lift 1" coil buckets and 4" AAL for the rear.
a lot of guys run spacers on a 5" coil. But once you make the leap from 5" to 8" of lift, its a whole new ball game
new control arms shocks, trac bar, extreme pitman, shackle flip or a 6" leaf pack for the rear ect.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:10 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

does the components that come with a skyjacker 5 inch put everything back to factory specs?? because i could fit a 3 inch spacer and just have to replace the shocks.. if a 5 inch brings everything back to stock.. such *** a 5 inch drop pitman arm.. and all the control arms to bring the steering and all to stock.. then i could keep the 3 inch with just get shocks for an 8 inch

Old 03-27-2006, 04:13 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

nope. the extra 3" will pull the axle back the draglink will be at a bad angle, the trac bar will pull the axle more to one side. Like I said the jump to the 7-8" + is $$$$$$$$$

Old 03-27-2006, 05:00 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

well thats maby something you should have thought have before bulding it up, i agree with the fact its a good DD but not for towing heavy wheeling ect, but motor size and what your gonna use it for is something you gotta consider when you get the truck rathetr than trying to say its chryslers fault, thats why there is the option for motor size and sounds like you shoulda went with a 360 or a V10 or maby even a diesel for your needs
Well in my opinion a truck is a TRUCK. You use it for work. Thats what they were created for. So to offer a truck that has a towing package and that truck not being able to tow it well thats sad.
It has a V8 which means it should have some torque. I think the 5.2 has plenty of horsepower but it lacks torque which is what you want in a truck.

as far as choosing a truck to fit my needs, well I didnt buy it for what I did to it. I did all of the stuff to it a few years after I bought it. I wouldnt have gotten a V10 or a diesel for wheeling just for the fact they are too heavy. I bought the 5.2 because of past history with the pre magnum 318.
ok this is my last post of this obvuaslly we have difrent ideas on this subject whitch is why this fourm is here, to express views... i would just like to coment on the statment about the truck being for work, thats why i bought the truck the company i worked for payed for it then i bought it off them wen i qiut just because your not pulling a traler all day duzent mean its not for work i needed the truck because i was on logging and oilfield roads all the time and needed the clearence and 4x4 id like to see a car get through there lol its got plenty of power to spin all 4 tires so im not dissagreing with you that the 318 isent a power hog however i think it is wrong to say beacuse of that you cant belive "that Chrysler would release an under powered truck" its a good truck just all depends on what your doing with it

Old 03-27-2006, 11:23 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Im done posting. Apparently not too many people use there truck on here. all show no go.

If you people want to help this guy spend mommy and Daddys money searching for a problem that may not exist go for it.
But, dodge released an underpowered truck for its class end of story. There is not reason why a 5.2 standard can make all sorts of power and then when an auto tranny is put behind it is a turtle.

everybody can return to posting up on what parts this guy can replace, I'll just sit and laugh.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

Im done posting. Apparently not too many people use there truck on here. all show no go.

If you people want to help this guy spend mommy and Daddys money searching for a problem that may not exist go for it.
But, dodge released an underpowered truck for its class end of story. There is not reason why a 5.2 standard can make all sorts of power and then when an auto tranny is put behind it is a turtle.

everybody can return to posting up on what parts this guy can replace, I'll just sit and laugh.
I bought my 1997 Ram because it was rated as having more towing capacity than either Ford or Chevy. Had money *NOT* been an issue, I would have purchased a Ford with the straight-6 aka, The Poor Man's Diesel. I towed with my truck a few times before tearing into the engine, and all I have to say is that for something that had 3 plugged injector inlets and a loosed intake it sure pulled like a ****. I can only imagine how well that truck will pull after I am done rebuilding the engine.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:25 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

im not gonna lie.. 318's arent a power house.. they arent underpowered.. but i wish i got a 360 instead.. dont get me wrong these things can pull a house down in 4lo.. but i wouldnt try hauling anything to big for a long period of time

Old 06-06-2006, 03:12 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

I dont want this thread to end!!!

How much money has been spent on this now? Was there ever really a problem?

I know Im a jack ***

Old 06-06-2006, 07:54 PM
jalapeenoz
Professional

I really don't use my truck for much heavy stuff, but to be honest I was disappointed with the power even with it being 2WD and a manual. I had an old C10 with a carbed 350 that felt stronger, but then again it was a much lighter/smaller truck. These Rams are like a brick on the highway especially on a steep hill or in a strong headwind. I do feel it is stronger and more responsive now that I have the Hypertech installed. The programmer is the only mod I have done so far that made a significant difference - not a drag racing difference but a difference nonetheless. I definitely think that with some more mods like a new TB, long tubes, new gears this 318 would give me plenty of power to do anything I ever wanted to do.

Quick Reply: Weak power thoughts