2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad tread ware problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:31 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bad tread ware problem

it would differ between tires i think, the conventional stock ones would wear on the outer thread. The offroad tires may have more radial bands in the tire (not sure if im using the term correctly) therfore would permit even wear.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Also make sure the alignment shop is reputable. Not a teenage that sat through an 8 hour class and is now a front end technition at Walmart. Let them know to check for loose or worn parts.

The dealer did mine and didn't even notice the bearing was worn out. I asked about it and they said they don't jack them up to do an alignment. Simple logic to check parts before adjusting. Warranty work..
Had a local shop do the same with my Chevelle after replacing the whole front suspension. They had a kid training. Got to learn somehow. We checked it again.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:14 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

The shop i am taking it to is the best in the business. I myself have had work done there and i know many people who have had work done there. They are about 35 miles away but it is well worth the drive for the work i know they will do.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:29 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ebxgsxr

shott8283...have you tried cross rotating your tires?

as for hanson, just get the alignment checked 1st. that will point out any problems with potentially bad ball joints or bearings (if the technician is good) or definitely a bad tie rod end. but it sounds like an alignment problem. when was the last time you had it aligned?
i actually rotated the tires 3 times in one month after each alignment and the same thing happended. 3 or 4 days later itll start pulling again.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:31 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

ORIGINAL: shott8283
i actually rotated the tires 3 times in one month after each alignment and the same thing happended. 3 or 4 days later itll start pulling again.
man that sucks. that's really weird. same thing was happening to my uncle. place near him in NJ was saying that it was a bad part. but i brought it into my shop and my lead tech was it doesnt even have the part that they were referring to. we cross rotated the tires and then everything weas great. good luck with that.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:41 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Well took it to the shop today... found out the trac bar was my problem. I had suspected it needed replacing now i know for sure. I have no experience with these. Whats a good brand? Anyone have any pics of an aftermarket trac bar they installed?

Old 04-04-2006, 02:31 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.dtprofab.com/dodge.htm
http://www.thurenfabrication.com/stocktb.html
http://www.solidsteel.ca/news.htm

all good ways to go with the tracbar problem

also a lukes link makes it possible with minor fabricting skills to rebuild your nonrebuildable stock tracbar

Old 04-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Chopper1
All Star

I also heard that advance has a moog bar that is slightly better than the factory one. Someone else might have coments on this that have replaced theirs. I will soon.

Depends on how long you plan on keeping the truck. Another 70,000 or forever.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:54 AM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

ORIGINAL: Chopper1

Also make sure the alignment shop is reputable. Not a teenage that sat through an 8 hour class and is now a front end technition at Walmart. Let them know to check for loose or worn parts.

Walmart doesnt do alignments [&:]

Sorry I had to say it lol

Glad you found your problem!

Old 04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Chopper1
All Star

ORIGINAL: JustinJohnson86

Walmart doesnt do alignments [&:]

Sorry I had to say it lol
Actually I knew that, but didn't want to say Firestone, Merchants, Tire America, and offend any youngsters out there learning. Got to practice to get good. Just not on mine.

Quick Reply: Bad tread ware problem