2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tonneau Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006 | 08:12 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Default RE: Tonneau Installed

yeah pretty much what chopper said..

when i head to the mountains i let the snow stay back there, with the two sand bags i've got it in yet.. should take those out..

with the company i got it sprayed by they actually were able to leave the drain holes at the front (by the cab) open also just pull out those little rubber things that cover the tie downs and those'll drain it right out... or accel hard that tends to work too.

if the truck is sitting in the sun it will actually dry the bed faster than the road dries off. it's usually about five to ten degrees higher than the air, if in the sun for a bit. not so high that it melts the paint, just dries faster. oh how i love it. i'll get some pics after next weekend, the 25th, (left my camera in idaho over spring break) and i'll post some so you see what i'm talkin about.

Old 04-13-2006 | 12:53 AM
mikecjn
Professional

Don't worry about the snow on that cover. Mine has made it through Maine winters with no problem. I just brush it off after storms while clearing the rest of the truck before hitting the road and it is fine.
On a side note make sure the drain holes up inside the front tub stay unclogged. Mine got plugged up once and the water froze inside and it wouldn't let me roll it up. It kept bottoming out on the ice when rolling.
The tailgate lock works really well. Piece of cake to install and it blends in pretty decent. Too bad I couldn't get both the cover and the tailgate lock keyed the same.

Old 04-13-2006 | 02:13 AM
Silver_Dodge
|
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: mikecjn

.....Too bad I couldn't get both the cover and the tailgate lock keyed the same.
Ya, that would be the trick thing for sure. Two keys does seem like a pain somewhat, but I would rather have that then nothing I guess. Thanks for the suggestion, I will be getting one of those locks this week, right after I get a new windshield. I had a rock kick up on me today and made a star right at the bottom of the glass beneath the passenger windshield wiper. I remeber hearing it hit, but since I couldn't see anything from inside, I forgot all about it. Then later in the day it decided to take a trek on up to the middle of my windshield. [:@]

Old 04-21-2006 | 01:06 PM
Silver_Dodge
|
Grand Champion

I've been on this forum for some time now, and I hope by now you all know me as being honest in my posts. I try hard not to exaggerate and just give the facts as best I can.

That said, I wanted to report what my mileage change has been since installing the tonneau. I drove the same typical drive to work that I normally do, no variations from norm (yes, I live a boring life). It is a mix of city and highway. I usually average about 12 - 14 mpg on this drive. In fact, I have been tracking/logging my mileage for some time now (told you I was boring), and the last 3 tanks before the install were:

Since the install of the tonneau, my last two full tanks of gas have been:

Soon, I plan to do another test. We'll be driving our usual 250 mile one way trip to the in-laws. It's highway only, long stretches, all flat. I usually average about 15-16 on that trip depending on wind. If I get anything over 16 on it next time, I will be ecstatic. I don't recall ever breaking 16 mpg. I post the results when we make that trip.

Old 04-21-2006 | 01:15 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

nice........ congrats....... im jealous......

Old 04-21-2006 | 01:21 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Damn drag coefficiant, aerodynamics. Physics class. Who new we would use that in real life.......... Glad to hear that someone actually is getting better mileage.

Old 04-21-2006 | 06:29 PM
theshocker
Veteran

Hey silver, did you get mpg increase with your headers? Iam getting some soon and was just wondering. I have done the entire intake and exhaust along w/ the fastman tb. And with the addition of a cover myself I am averging around 13mpg. Just wondering what to expect if anything in that dept.

Old 04-21-2006 | 06:36 PM
Silver_Dodge
|
Grand Champion

No no change that I noticed from the headers. They made a nice difference on the top end though.

Quick Reply: Tonneau Installed