2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Roof clearance light hdw.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:13 AM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof clearance light hdw.

Quick question, since this truck stuff is new to me...was pulling off the factory roof lights since 2 of them had moisture inside...not gotten into the cab yet, thank god...anyway, I'm gonna put a bead of silicone around the base gasket...but the problem seems to be the lil' washers on the screws...are they nylon? Kinda silly question, but don't need to get stainless washers or something and have it leak again...just need to know if they're nylon, or what else they could be...the rust from the screws (which will be replaced too) has tarnished the washers beyond recognition.

Forgive my panicky, not so quick question. Thanks.

Old 04-11-2006, 07:29 AM
MGDMike
Champion
Default RE: Roof clearance light hdw.

I have no idea but you are in one moisture prone area and I hope someone here can help you out because I wouldn't water start that dang rust on your beaut of a truck.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:24 PM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

Thanks for the reply...I can only assume it's nylon, don't know what else it could be...I'll just be sure to add a bit of silicone to the screw holes. Wonder how silly I'm gonna look driving to the hardware store with bulbs sticking out up there[sm=confused06.gif].

Old 04-11-2006, 10:57 PM
4DrMopar
Captain

they arent washers,they are inserts or were inserts for the screws to thread into for the roof...

Old 04-11-2006, 11:52 PM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

ORIGINAL: mdoffroad

they arent washers,they are inserts or were inserts for the screws to thread into for the roof...
No, they are washers...between the screw head and the light...to keep the water out of the screw hole...it's taken care of...got new nylon washers, new stainless #8 screws, and a lil' silicone on the gasket and screw holes to keep them nice and dry now. The inserts are still in the roof.

Quick Reply: Roof clearance light hdw.