2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will Gen 3 rims on a Gen 2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 12:14 AM
MCDiver
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will Gen 3 rims on a Gen 2?

ORIGINAL: ray97

New member and first time posting here, is there any potential hazards that go along with putting larger rims and tires on the truck. I thought I heard someone say that it puts a lot more stress on the truck ie. axles with an increase in tire size? I have the same rims off of a 2002 and they do fit on my 97, just wondering if anybody has heard of any risks. The dealership says ABSOLUTLY NOT, to putting bigger rims and tires, but everybody does it....
The problem you have is that with larger rolling stock, you would need to put larger brakes on the truck to compensate. The computer will have to be reprogrammed for the new tire size to correct the speedo, and the performance will feel a little different. So although everyone is out there putting on the big wheels, they are dangerous because the blow there wad on the rims and tires but do not realize that the stock brakes were not designed to stop the additional size and weight of the new stock.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Fiero Guy
Rookie

that is in fact if they're a different size. The combo I've been looking at is 0.3" bigger than factory (2001 Ram 1500 4X4 QC Off-Road), and I think another 4 revs per mile...

problem is that the tires I want are $385 each!

Old 04-27-2006, 12:59 AM
ray97
Veteran

(but do not realize that the stock brakes were not designed to stop the additional size and weight of the new stock)

MCDiver are you saying just the pads have to be replaced or are you talking the complete hub?? Excuse me if this is a stupid question!!!

Old 04-27-2006, 02:10 AM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Good brake pads would help slightly, However He meant that the brakes need better tougher bigger mechanical parts, other than the pads.

I'm pretty sure hes meaning a bigger Brake Rotor (2 or more inches bigger in Diameter), and a bigger caliper, maybe like a 4 piston brake caliper (I think thats the proper name for it ?)

Old 04-27-2006, 02:28 AM
ray97
Veteran

Thanks for the info.. I don't think I am willing to change all of that just to put these rims on my truck. The stock rims that I have now do not look bad I was just gonna try something different. I guess I will be getting rid of them too.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:39 AM
ray97
Veteran

If anyone is looking for a set of 20" rims. Mine are for sale now. I am in AZ.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:27 AM
Bikenut

My 99 Ram came with P245/75R16s.

245 mm wide (9.65") x 75% sidewall ratio (7.23" sidewall) + 16" rim = a wheel radius of 15.23" (30.46" overall height)

The wheels I want to now sell are P275/55R20s

275 mm wide (10.83") x 55% sidewall ratio (5.95" sidewall) + 20" rim = a wheel radius of 15.95" (31.90" overall height)

Comparing the wheel radius, that makes the newer 20" wheels only 4% larger. Now I'm hoping that the Dodge engineers designed the braking system with an overdeisgned margin of error of more than 4%. I'm hoping they overdesigned the brakes by 50% or more ... just to be safe.

If these were 35"+ monster offroad tires then, yes, I would consider an upgraded braking system with larger rotors and more powerful calipers. With the larger tire size and offroad conditions would make it an absolute must.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:22 PM
MCDiver
Rookie

you can check at www.praisedynobrake.com, they make stock type stuff that is much better. normally you would replace the whole set-up (rotors, capilers, etc.) and go with a larger set. This is more of a problem with the guys that really start adding power and do not work on the brakes. It is great that you can go fast, but can you slow it down. Sorta on the same lines as adding larger rolling stock. If your new stock is not much bigger in total diameter than the old stuff, and not much heiver then you should be okay using the stock brakes.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:55 PM
ray97
Veteran

Let me ask you guys opinion on this. If the tires I have on my truck now and the tires I want to put on are only .82 larger in circumference, do you think I still need different brakes. Right now I have 265/75/16 and I want to run 275/55/20 The sidewall difference is -1.87, section width +.40 diameter +.26 and the circumference is +.82
Thanks for your opinions

Old 04-27-2006, 10:02 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ray97

Let me ask you guys opinion on this. If the tires I have on my truck now and the tires I want to put on are only .82 larger in circumference, do you think I still need different brakes. Right now I have 265/75/16 and I want to run 275/55/20 The sidewall difference is -1.87, section width +.40 diameter +.26 and the circumference is +.82
Thanks for your opinions
No

I'm not sure what the huge worry about brake upgrading is. People have been putting larger tires on for years without issue. And if you maintain your braking system, there is no need for it. The stock system was designed to have more than enough to stop the truck...with a load...and a trailer. They had to do that, to cover their own ****. No company wants a lawsuit because someone maxxed out their truck...couldn't stop...and got themselves injured/killed. It's bad for business If you don't do a lot of towing/hauling, then you have nothing to worry about. The extra force that the weight of larger rims/tires (anything 38" and below) isn't going to be greater than having an 8000lb trailer pushing against the truck while it's trying to stop.

And if you're still worried about it, allow yourself a little extra room for braking. I do anyway when I'm in my truck, and my tires are only an inch larger than stock.

BTW, for the 3/4 ton and 1 ton owners, the GM wheel cylinder mod that I did to my truck is definitely a MUST! Your truck won't do a nose dive anymore when you brake. It will simply squat down...like it's supposed to.

I'm not saying that upgrading brakes is a bad thing...it's just not necessary.

Quick Reply: Will Gen 3 rims on a Gen 2?