2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will Gen 3 rims on a Gen 2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Bikenut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will Gen 3 rims on a Gen 2?

Good points Burning Rom. I agree. I think one would have to try pretty hard to get beyond the available braking power of the factory brakes. The truck is designed for carrying a heavy payload, or pulling a trailer, so a small tire size change is a negligible impact on braking.

Here's a thought. Put the larger tires on the truck. Now go out on the road (in a secluded spot) and slam the brakes on. If you can lock up the tires fairly easily, then braking power is not a problem.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:11 AM
ray97
Veteran

Great points by all. I will be keeping my wheels and putting them on my truck. Thanks

Old 05-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Fiero Guy
Rookie

anybody got any further opinions on the lug size issue?

Does that 1/16" matter?

Old 05-09-2006, 12:39 AM
TPSDODGE
Professional

the original poster should buy some 3-4mm wheel spacers from mr gasket to fix the center cap poping out thing that way you get your cool rims

Old 05-09-2006, 04:01 AM
Bikenut

Fiero Guy,
The tires used with a 20" rim usually have a short sidewall so there will be more stress put on the studs as there will be less tire to soften the blow of any impact. If I were going off road, cranking up the horsepower or doing some type of road course driving with the truck then yes, I would be alittle concerned about the smaller stud size.

TPSDODGE,
I considering using a spacer. It looked like it would have taken about 8-10 mm to clear the center cap. Then I thought that the spacer + the smaller studs was a recipe for disaster. (... plus I tend to be a little heavy on the gas pedal and take turns faster than I should at times)

Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Fiero Guy
Rookie

Well, I went ahead and did it, they look pretty sharp. I'll be keeping a closer eye on things for a while.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:30 PM
FLWS

Hey, anyone looking for the 20" OEM Ram Wheels, or any other Factory Dodge Rims, check out

<link removed> - Commercial posting without sponsorship is not allowed per DodgeForum rules.

Old 07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
ray97
Veteran

I put myine on too about two weeks ago and really haven't noticed much of a difference in stopping or anything. I have noticed a little bit rougher ride because of the smaller sidewall though, but that is OK with me because it makes the truck look much better.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:04 AM
stauplate

I have a 99 and an 03. Both have 20" wheels on them. The 99 has Centerline wheels that said they would work with the stock brakes. I think it may have had to do with the weight of the wheel and not the size. I'm not sure about that though. I had the center cap problem also. I changed the dust cap on the rotor to the GM cap and it cleared. The GM cap was rounder than the Dodge cap. It clears the spindle and the wheel center cap. The brakes on the 03 are alot larger than the 99. I am planning to swap the wheels between the two but will need new lug nuts as the stud size is larger on the 03.

Quick Reply: Will Gen 3 rims on a Gen 2?