2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Off Roader! Which one would YOU pick? (With pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006 | 02:25 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Default RE: Off Roader! Which one would YOU pick?

i still think you should try to find an early 90s convertible bronco.........

thats really cool that your doin a summer project like that. words cant explain how jealous i am. good luck.

Old 04-20-2006 | 03:14 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

I'd go with a Toyota pickup an older Tacoma. As much as it pains me to say I'd go with a Toyota I think they are the best for offroading with a small if. The Ram won't do half what they will just because it is so big. The downside is the IFS. I like the 60-70's Broncos but they are way too nice to offroad. If I didn't go with a Toyota I'd look for a S-10 ZR2 and put a small lift on it.

Old 04-20-2006 | 03:45 AM
Socha_62
|
Record Breaker

I'm deffenitially looking for a solid front end, IFS is just way to weak and way to hard to lift.

Like I keep saying, watch some of those videos An IFS with a small lift isn't going to cut it at all. Plus a ZR2 would be WAY out of the price range. Were looking at $1500-2000 to buy the truck, fix it, lift it, and get some wheels and tirers (probably used) Have to look at parts availability and price. Imports are always more to work on and harder to get parts for.

I know with those numbers some of you have gonna go nuts saying thats IMPOSIBLE. Yeah...it is if you buy a truck, and fix everything little thing, replace every part, rebuilt the engine and axles, and spend money on the body, and get it painted, and do all this other crap thats gonna get trashed the first time you wheel it. If I go out the first time and dent and scratch my body on a tree...guess what? I don't care Thats what its for! If I wanted a nice rig to wheel I'd use my truck lol

The thing is I'll be going with alot of people, so if my rig breaks on the trail, its easy to get it home and work on it, or even for trail repairs. Last time I was up there a guy broke his front axle u-joint. Got out the ole Hi Lift and about 3 people wipped out spare u-joints and tool boxes, the convoy was moving again in 45 mins!

I've seen some pretty decent Toys on the trail though, they're not to bad once you swap in a solid front end and a bigger rear! This is a PURE off roader, if I have to trailer it thats no problem, and I'm probably not gonna get it insured since its trails only.

Old 04-20-2006 | 04:01 AM
shott8283

man i wanted a ZR2 for the longest time before i decided on the ram,,, but IFS will also be pricey to lift and it is a PITA... SFA would be absolutely the best! my uncle had an old K5 "convertable" the thing was mint..wicked 454 in it from a 1500 454 sport truck he found at the wreckin yard.... K5 would be the best b.c of the numerous options on the aftermarket for older GM products

Old 04-20-2006 | 05:33 AM
BlackPearl

If you have enough time and nerves of steel for fixing the engine and the rust problems you should go with the Scout. These Scouts are great offroad trucks. I had a 1978 Scout II until a few weeks ago. Had to sell it due to missing space in my yard. Anyway, rust is a major problem with these IHCs. You CAN fix it, however, but make sure before that there's enough substance left to weld in some sheets. If not, then don't even think about fixing it . I had one a few years ago with two logs of wood between body and chassis due to massive rust and a badly installed bodylift. I was really eager to fix that one, but quite fast I learned that this would have been nearly impossible with a limited amount of spare time and $$$.
The Blazer will be fine offroads, too, but you can't compare it with a Scout. Scouts are more agile. At least that's my experience from driving it through the woods, ditches and dirt. Don't know how a Bronco performs offroad.

Old 04-20-2006 | 10:45 AM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

i still think you should try to find an early 90s convertible bronco.........

thats really cool that your doin a summer project like that. words cant explain how jealous i am. good luck.

My g/f's sister has one, and taking the top off is not fun =( especially when you spend 30 dollars in tools just to get what you need... Those tops require a tamper proof 40 torx and a 50 size torx to get the belt off =( unfortunatly they only came in a set at the auto store, and i had to buy 2 whole sets (one tamper proof, one not)

As for the k5 or the scout, I would personally go with the scout, only because i love those things, but if its got a lot of rust, go for the k5

Old 04-20-2006 | 11:50 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

get a SAmmy or a older Toy. If you get a 85 or lower toy they have a solid front axle and are great offroad. You can pick up a pretty decent Sammy lifted a little for aroun 1500 to 2k.

Thats what I would do If I had to do it all over again.

I might even sell my Dodge and take half of the money and buy a sammy or older toy and take the other half and get a diesel.

If I were you I would look for a K10, they are a bit beefier. I think they came with a 14 bolt.
Or I would go with a 78-79 bronco. Parts are cheap good motor, you could swap a hipinion 60 with little mods.

th early Broncos and Scouts are sweet but will cost you a fortune because they are rare and wanted.

Old 04-20-2006 | 11:59 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

K5 has my vote

Old 04-20-2006 | 12:55 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Jeeps are smaller and easier to get through tight spots. Short wheelbase has less to drag on stuff. Used one for hunting and pulled many off trucks out that were hung up. Down side is the tip factor. Put side bars on it and push it back over.

Scouts are good, but trying to get parts and keep reliable is a PITA. Early Bronco's are made of gold to anyone selling them. If you could run across an old jeepster would be great, but not many around. Had V6's and would climp an almost straight up hill with 6 people in it. Done it.

Blazer or Bronco would be easy to get parts for, work on, etc. Still has short wheel base and room to put stuff. Just be tight on some of the narrow trails. As far as taking the top off while 4 wheeling. Leave your windows down in your truck and multiply the mud on you, window track and the dash, you get the idea.

Basically light, short wheel base, easy to get parts and work on, will help. Rust around the wheelwells shouldn't hurt to much, good chance they will get trimmed for tire clearance anyway. Unless you trailer it you will need something that is in decent enough shape to keep inspected. Brings out another point. If it is over 25 years old, around here you can get an antique plate and not have to inspect it, and insurance is cheap on an antique for occassional use.

Old 04-20-2006 | 02:10 PM
Tani1500
Champion

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I'd go with a Toyota pickup an older Tacoma. As much as it pains me to say I'd go with a Toyota I think they are the best for offroading with a small if. The Ram won't do half what they will just because it is so big. The downside is the IFS. I like the 60-70's Broncos but they are way too nice to offroad. If I didn't go with a Toyota I'd look for a S-10 ZR2 and put a small lift on it.

I have to agree with that. my friend has an 85 4 runner and it does amazing offroad. its also easy to work on and there reliable as hell. his' suspention cost alot and required welding and cutting but it flexes like a beast. also there axles are great because they dont have standard u joints and the 3rd member making getting new gears and locker so much cheaper and easier. I would look for around an 85 and do the same thing. just make sure you get one without IFS. im almost consitering getting one or getting an XJ and puting 60's under it

If I didn't go with a Toyota I'd look for a S-10 ZR2
I would never consiter and s10. you would be better off trying to wheel a WRX

Quick Reply: Off Roader! Which one would YOU pick? (With pics)