2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

question about tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 06:37 PM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about tires

every now and then I see trucks that have tires that seem to stick out past the truck about 2 inches and it gives it a nice mean look, anyone know if thats just the kind of tire it is or is it something else?

Old 05-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: question about tires

I bet if you look close at ones you see like that, they will not have stock rims. Usually, that look is the result of the off set/back spacing of an aftermarket rim. Tires that wide on stock rims usually rub like hell unless you have several inches of lift.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:56 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge
Tires that wide on stock rims usually rub like hell unless you have several inches of lift.
And even then they'd still rub on the control arms.

Also, tires sticking out beyond the fenderwells usually require fender flares to be installed, in order for them to be street legal. Of course that all depends on how lenient the law enforcement is in your state/area.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tires stick out about 1 1/2" from the fender on either side. I am running stock 8" rims with 12 1/2" wide tires. It does look nice, but throws all kinds of crap up on the doors and fenders. I am going to get some fender flares b/c I am tired of cleaning all the crap off and fixing the paint chips.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, tires sticking out beyond the fenderwells is not good on the wheel bearings/hubs either.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:44 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Could have crapy not-cool wheels spacers too.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Thats how mine are. I have a 10" wide wheel that is offset out. Any tar, dirt, gum, etc. will end up on the truck. And yes it is harder on the wheel bearings. Few other things to consider. It no longer fits in a drive through car wash, the bank drive thru is tight between the curbs, and the ruts in the road will get your attention.
But they look damn good....
I've always run wide tires on all my vehicles. The more rubber the better. Better for the beach sand. The 33"Dunlops I had on before with the 3" lift, were wider than it is now. With the shell on, the wife said it looked like a mouse going down the road from behind. Tires and mirrors sticking out like feet and ears.
They don't harrass us around here about it. Have had people in PA, while travelling through, ask about the tires sticking out. In the area of PA I was in they are strick on the issue.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Also keep in mind that if you do a lot of highway driving - and put a lot of miles on your truck, the wider your tires are, the more rolling resistence there is, making your already crappy gas mileage worse.....I agree - the big tires look awesome, but I know that with me already putting $60 worth of gas in mine a week - I think I'll stick with the stock tires......

Quick Reply: question about tires