2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission whine problem - help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 02:25 AM
ybstuk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission whine problem - help please!

Hey all - i picked up my truck about 4 months ago (with the help of some advice on this forum) and i love it. I bought it with about 139K on it, and it currently has almost 143K on it. I've got a couple things that need to be done to it, but it's a great truck! I do have a problem that's has just started to reveal itself, i'm afraid. Tonight, I took the truck to go pickup a new stove (about an hour away). On the way there (mostly 55mph driving), we slowed down to go thru a small town, and when i slowed down to 30mph (speed limit), i noticed a whine coming from the middle/front of the truck. The whine get's higher in pitch as you increase the throttle (directly related to RPMs). i tried putting the truck in Neutral, giving it gas, and no whine. It whines in 1, 2, D, as well as Reverse. This is a little hard to describe, but as the speed of the truck increases, the whine fades away. As the truck shifts from gear to gear, the whine increases in pitch, then drops as it shifts into the next gear (and rises again as RPM increases). It disappears completely once it shifts into 4th (OD). Now i knew from the beginning that it was always a possibility that the trans might have a problem later on down the road... so if it does, so be it i guess... I'm starting to look at the cost of getting a rebuilt one vs. getting this one rebuilt. of course, while it's apart, i wouldnt mind "beefing" it up a bit, so i know it'll last in the long haul... of course, i don't want to spend a TON of cash on it though. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on? any ideas how long it'll last before it's completely shot? and howabout some recommendations for decent places (w/ decent prices of course) to pickup a rebuilt one? i'm going to be searching this forum as well as the web for ideas, prices, etc... Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!! I've even thought about rebuilding this myself (i have a connection that would help me do it). well, it's early in the game, so i want to check out all my options. FYI - it's the 46RE. Thanks in advance!

YB

Old 05-08-2006, 03:40 PM
ybstuk
Default RE: Transmission whine problem - help please!

anyone? please?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:15 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

best advice i can give you is take it to your friend that can help you rebuild and have them listen to it. also another thing to check is drop the transmission pan and see if there are metal flakes and chunks floating in the oil. or at worst take it to the stealership. i'm thinking it's the torque converter has gone out on you.. not fun.

if you are looking to beef it up and get a shift kit, look into TransGo shift kits they have a webpage somewhere i think something like www.transgo.com.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:19 PM
ybstuk

thanks for the reply! i just took it to a local trans shop at lunchtime and had the guy drive it - he in fact did say it sounded like the torque converter as opposed to the trans - which is good news, if you ask me. i'd rather pay for a torque converter, instead of having the entire trans rebuilt. i'm looking up getting a new (or rebuilt) converter, and i'll be replacing it soon. at that time, i'll also drop the pan on the trans, inspect the bottom (hopefully it's ok), and replace the filter and fluid... if i have to rebuild it, i'll keep in mind that shift kit (not sure i should go installing that into a used, "unrebuilt" trans). Thanks again for your reply!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:25 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

yeah dude good luck with it. i think to replace the TC you're gonna have to drop the pan.. i don't remember exactly but i'm sure a haynes manual has everthing you need to know in it. yeah if you're going to put the shift kit in you probably should at least do the whole check over thing. just use a digital camera to take step by step pictures so you know where everything goes. real smart trick i think.

yeah i'm lucky i've only got 38k miles on my truck. once i graduate college in a year or so shift kit is top of the list.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:35 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

To replace the TC you have to drop the transmission. Call apsprecision and tell them what you have, what your future mod plans are, and what you want out of the truck. They will hook you up with a quality performance converter.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:36 PM
ybstuk

the torque converter is mounted on the front of the trans, under the bell-housing. it's not an internal part in the trans. i'm going to drop the pan though to inspect it all, and hope it's all good....

Old 05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
ybstuk

i will check out APS Precision! thanks for the info! i might skate out of this one on the cheaper side (crossing fingers). Thanks again!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

If your TC is going, replace it asap or you will be replacing both your tranny and converter. Once the TC breaks up, the pieces get circulated into the transmission.

Quick Reply: Transmission whine problem - help please!