2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

IM A CONVERT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: IM A CONVERT!

What concerns me is that spraying it directly into the TB means you are just hitting the bottom of the intake with it. It would then wash anything that is sitting in the bottom of the intake down into the valves. That doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Also, you must need to spray it toward the front and the back of the intake evenly so it goes into all areas equally. If you direct all your spray to the back, the fronts will still be dirty, and vise versa.

I think I'm going to try this out anyway. I'll post my results.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:57 PM
nmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did it he same way at the beginning of summer with just over half a can of seafoam. i did notice a small ddifference, bit im gonna do it again in the spring, after the plenum fix. but hey, i was happy with it for the money. i may use the mopar next jsut to compare

Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 PM
ripto
Captain

yeah I was planning to do this tomorrow but heavy rain is coming so can't. picked up a can at local dodge dealer for little more than $8 with tax.

Old 10-28-2006, 04:24 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

You can spray it in with the valves totally closed, theres still plenty of suction to suck all the spray in. IMO is that the leaky plenum wouldn't really make a diffrence. Theres no way it would leak out since when the plenum leaks it sucks air/oil in from the bottom, so theres a suction down there too.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:43 AM
ripto
Captain

couple of quick questions:

1. I know you're supposed to take it out to reach normal operating temp, then shut it off and take the air intake off. Isn't it kind of hard to take it off when the engine and everything else is super hot?

2. Do I need someone inside the truck stepping on the gas to keep it from stalling at a steady rpm level? What should it be at? I know you're not supposed to rev it, rather you should keep it at a constant rpm to prevent from stalling.

3. Could someone explain the vaccuum part? I don't know anything about it but I've heard its better to spray it through a vaccuum line. Do you spray half of it through the TB and half through the vacuumm, or just all of it through the TB or all of it through the vaccuum? When you start it up after leaving it sit for 2-3 hours, do you rev it up several times then take it out? or just take it out?

4. If I were to take the TB off and clean the IAC, that should be done before hand correct incase stuff gets in the intake right?

Old 10-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

1. Yes the engine will be hot, so you just have to be careful what you touch. But it is nessasary to be at temp when you do it.

2. I wouldn't have somebody inside the truck, the idle is REALLY low when you do it so if somebody was in the cab on the peddle I think it'd be to high, even if they only pushed the peddle as little as possible. I would just start spraying it in at idle and IF it starts to drown out just rev it by hand a HAIR. You really only have to move the throttle a little bit.

3. I've heard of people doing the vacuum part too with SeaFoam. You can take off a vacuum line that goes right into the intake the spray it in there. The brake booster line would be a good one. Just don't forget to reconect it

4. Cleaning the TB is a really good idea. Only takes 10 mins or so to pop it off, clean the IAC and TB and put it backon. Its help down with 4 bolts and the TPS, MAP, and IAC are each help with 2 philips screws. Might need a new gasket depending if yours is messed up or not, it is always a good idea to pick up a new one no matter what.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2006, 04:44 PM
ripto
Captain

How do you rev it by hand, do you just lift up the valves or is there something else there?

Old 10-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Just twist the throttle linkage, the thing the cables hook on to, or you can just push on the valves, but you'll end up spraying your hand ha

Old 10-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Big_N_Bad
Professional

Hey,
I have a subaru that needs this do you think it would work with other cars and trucks aslong as there gas

BNB

Old 10-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

You could use it, I don't see what diffrence it would make. They also have SeaFoam, but I think the Mopar cleaner is probably better.

Quick Reply: IM A CONVERT!