2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

IM A CONVERT!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:11 AM
EMRJPV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IM A CONVERT!

I was reading a post on here about throttle body cleaners (https://dodgeforum.com/m_470653/tm.htm) and decided to try the Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner . I took off the air cleaner housing and started the motor. I let it idle and just sprayed the whole can into the throttle body. At idle it sucked it right up as fast as I sprayed it. Once the can was empty I shut it off and let it sit for about 1 hour. Well I put the air cleaner housing back on and started it up.

Immediately a large cloud of white smoke came bursting out the tail pipe. I got on the highway which is about half a mile from my house and gunned it. Once the white smoke cleared(30 seconds) I could tell immediately a huge difference in power and no spark pinging at all. I seemed to have gotten the power back that I had forgotten about since I first bought the truck. My truck has 92000 miles on it and it feels like brand new again.

Have any of you tried the Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner?

If not it is the best $6.00 I have spent in a while!

Old 05-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Sehr916
Veteran
Default RE: IM A CONVERT!

Thanks for the review, where can I get some of that? Is that stuff like that Sea Foam that everyone likes?

Old 05-24-2006, 12:40 AM
EMRJPV

I went to the local Dodge dealer after I called them first. It was like 6 dollars and Im not sure about the Seam Foam stuff but this stuff WORKS!

Old 05-24-2006, 12:50 AM
tireman_steve
Rookie

wow sounds like good stuff at a very good price thanks for the info definitly will try some

Old 05-24-2006, 01:29 AM
apollo95

Hi everyone! This is my 1st post. I have a 99 Ram 5.2 QC w/80K that I just picked up for $6,000. It's in beautiful shape! Anyway, since I know ZERO about doing any maintenance, I have a question about this cleaner and how to do it. Again, forgive my ignorance here: Once I take off the air cleaner housing, do I have to do anything to the trottle body (like hold anything open), or just spray it right in those 2 circles?

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2006, 02:49 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

Found this about the cleaner, its just the directions:

Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner/Conditioner is really good for removing carbon deposits...The following directions outline the way that professional mechanics have been using the cleaner for years -- they were finally published in TSB 18-31-97 for 1996-98 Jeep 4.0 Liter misfire conditions:

1. Operate the vehicle until the vehicle reaches operating temperature.
2. Remove the air tube from the throttle body.
3. With the engine at an idle, spray the entire contents of Mopar Combustion Cleaner, p/n 04318001, directly into the throttle body. Allow the vehicle to load up with the cleaner to the point of almost stalling out.
4. Shut the engine OFF after the entire can is ingested.
5. With the hood closed and the vehicle parked inside the garage, allow the vehicle to soak for two to three hours. This will ensure that the engine will maintain its temperature and will allow proper solvent penetration.
6. Drive the vehicle on a highway/freeway that will allow the vehicle to be driven safely at the posted speed limit. Upon entering the highway/freeway, accelerate hard to the posted speed limit and maintain speed. Slow down and then perform 5 to 10 Wide Open Throttle (WOT) upshifts. Continue driving at the maximum speed limit for 1-2 miles (if conditions allow).

Old 05-24-2006, 10:56 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

we do the same thing, but with a 3 stage system @ my shop. i have done it to all my vehicles now and my old jeep. made a world of difference.

Old 05-24-2006, 12:04 PM
TPSDODGE
Professional

all the techs at the dealership where i work say if you let it set for about 2-3 hours i works better

Old 05-24-2006, 11:22 PM
petekf4qoe
Rookie

I would like to know if this helps with the milage any at all? I am going to the dealer tomorrow and get some. Will post results after I do it. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-25-2006, 10:36 AM
apollo95

Does anyone mind taking a picture of exactly where you are supposed to spray this stuff in? Again, a newbie with enough mechanical skills to change an air filter and a pcv valve. That's about it. I want to make sure that when I buy and use this stuff, I don't foget to disconnect anything (other than the air filter housing of course).

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: IM A CONVERT!