2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

audio question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 02:25 AM
izzkidioto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: audio question

First of all, no Infinity system. A new HU is definately in the making. I was looking at one of the following: Alpine CDA-9856 or 9857 or Pioneer DEH-P4800MP/P6800MP for the HU. I am versed in car and home audio, and I am just looking to see what everyone has done and how they like it. I have seen some very good suggestions (including that box cause I don't want to build one myself) and I really appreciate it. I am trying to fit an Xtant x1044 in there, so mounting depth is an issue.

What is the mounting depth on your subs there, crazy?

On another note, I own an '06 Colorado and I installed two sets of component speakers (Polk DB6500) being driven by a Pheonix Gold Octane 4.0:2 and an Earthquake SWS-10 shallow mount in a custom box I built myself which is being pushed by another PG, Xenon series x100.2. I love the end result, and I was just wondering how yall installed your subs.

I am doing this project in parts, so first HU, then speakers, then subs. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:33 AM
vsraptor
Professional

Sinister the X-ploid amp i have doesnt actually put out 760w. That is the number above total that sony put on it. And by total i mean output with two subs in all acceptable variations and one sub in all variations of wiring. It sucks. The amp didnt fully complament the speakers. Now as far as the subs, i just kinda had the volume and eq turned the right way for to long on the right stuff, or was it the wrong.

I like the idea of removing the cup holder thingy, my amp got paced under the diver seat just kinda floating there. Not exactly the best idea. But thats why there is this forum.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

well seeing as i'd have to rewire the center console if I removed the cup holders, I think I'll just put the amp under the passenger seat.. Under the drivers is just a touch crowded, that and well, i think it would get better airflow under the passengers, since that window is almost always open. I'll take some interior shots of the truck sometime today if I remember, I've gotta dump my camera of all those vintage at the show anyways.

izzkid.. - there are sub boxes specifically designed for the shape of the floor in the rear. mine was about 200 but im sure you can get one cheaper since you live in the states.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:55 PM
WhiteBuffalo

The best box for a RAM, IMO, is not under the rear seat, but one of the Center Console Replacement encosures. Why? Well, if you've ever taken the console out (which I often do to clean my non-carpetted floor), punching the floor right underneath can produce some massively fine sounding deep bass. Compliment this natural acoustical superior body construction of the Ram trucks with a 12" sub in a ported enclosure firing downward, and you've got some good "thump" there....

Here's an example of what I'm talking about...

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1535

Old 06-03-2006, 08:29 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

I agree with buffalo, but you can only get one sub in there, you can get to in the back. I personally would put one good sub in the center not two in the back.
Edit...If you have a single cab, you can take the seat out and easliy make a box that will hold two 12's, 3 10's maybe.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that is a nice centerconsole box, but its only for 2002 and up, izz's truck is a 2000, i dont think it would work,.. but it IS definately a nice way to do it.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:11 PM
WhiteBuffalo

When I first seen 'em, I think they were for like 98 and up. ...

Actually, HERE is the version for 94-02 models....

Old 06-03-2006, 09:20 PM
izzkidioto

Yeah, what he said...it is a 2000 and it is for 2002+. Anyways, the mounting depth on the Xtant 1044 is 6.7", so let me know what you guys think about this idea. Have the sub forward firing, and use fiberglass to make it look clean. I can expand the enclosure under the seat and make use of the airspace under there. I am trying to retain as much of the original space as possible with this enclosure. Do yall understand what I am trying to say?

Another thing...I don't really want to go with a stealthbox because that would require me to purchase a JL Audio sub, and I already have a higher quality one.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:27 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Are we talkin about under the back seat or center..That xtant sub looks nice.

FYI-the mounting depth is 7.6"....atleast thats wat xtants website says.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:59 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

that's pushing the depth of the box i got. they have the specs for the box on the website (www.hifisoundconnection.com) if i remember correctly you'll just have to search a bit for it. i knew what subs i wanted and knew of the box i wanted so that's what i looked for. i knew i could always cut a hole to make the sub fit (i ended up needing half an inch). i wanted a downfiring (to save rear seat foot space and be clean, i now have two four inch speakers going out the front to help the top end). i also wanted the infinty subs. something that sounded really good for not too much dough ya know.

i like that JL audio seat idea (i'm sure you can put another round sub in there) but i still use that seat too often with friends. also it's really fun to have drunk girls in the back seat and turn up the sub. hmm yeah that's how i last got some...

anyway yeah 7.6" is probably going to be too deep for a downfiring. but it might work if you do some custom stuff.

oh i think my subs are right around 7" mounting depth. they are the single coils so they are a little shorter.

two tens sound better to me anyday than a single 12 does.

Quick Reply: audio question