2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

audio question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 03:11 PM
izzkidioto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio question

Hey guys, I bought a 2000 Ram extended cab, and I am looking to upgrade the audio system. Just wondering what yall have done so I can compare to what I think would work. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Default RE: audio question

first things first. you have to find out if you have the infinty system or not. that will make the biggest difference as the infinty came with some pretty good stuff.

mine did not. so i replaced my head unit with a Sony Xplod 5150 two years ago and added two infinity reference 10" subs and a 1100 watt kenwood 8152D mono block amp. since then i've also added some 4" pioneer speakers into the box to add to the top end a bit. next thing to do is the door speakers, which in hindsight i should've done first. pheonix gold makes the best amps right now but they are not cheap. i've paid about $700 for all of my stuff (including sub box).

there are some pictures in my gallery just click the camera under my name at the left.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:17 PM
vsraptor
Professional

Hey crazy where did you get that box. The one ive got has the subs sticking out the front.....My kids are geting tall enough to get there grubby little feet on them.

Sony X-ploid M-8810 head unit,Sony X-ploid in all the doors,used to have X-ploid 760w amp and 10" 600w subs but i blew em', so now i am hobbleing on a single jensen that my buddy had in a closet.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Even if you do have the infinity system, your still better off getting a new head unit and speakers.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an alpine 9856 headunit, installed myself, since there's no warranty in Canada anyways., its got 3 preouts etc.. i have a set of 4 pioneer 5 1/4s, i just purchased the subbox for 2x10s and a 600watt amp, still need to install all that.
im not exactly sure what you're looking at, but no matter what HU you buy, its a VERY easy install.

i noticed crazy1snow. your subs are facing the floor,. my box was prebuilt so it faces the back of the front seats.., im just wondering whether or not that'll make much of a difference in the sound quality, that and If I have passengers, the subguards hopefully protect them. if not they buy a new sub, and / or they will be turfed out onto the street at 100.

vraptor, 2 subs at 600 watts? and a 750 watt amp? no wonder you blew them.

btw. where did you all install your amps to?.. I've looked under the center console and there isnt enough room under there as there's some wiring, and those f* rear cupholders.

im considering taking out the holders, but the wiring is attached to the same bracket.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:28 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

i got my box at www.hifisoundconnection.com for about $126 last summer. my amp is mounted under my drivers seat just sitting on the floor. i've got a couple of screws into the carpet just to keep it from sliding around. it's lumpy under there so hard to fit. i'm still deciding if i want to move it under the center seat.

i think it sounds better facing the floor, but i don't have a front facing box to try. it almost creates another sealed portion at the floor to pump the air against the floor and hit a little harder. i did have to modify the box a little to get the subs to fit though just cut the top of the box and added a little carpeted piece of box to cover the hole. if you want i can take some newer pictures of it.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:30 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

I have my sub downfiring in my ram. I think its has better sq and spl.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:40 AM
1996ramkid
Professional

i was wanting to know what all i would have to replace just to change the infinity cd player and put in 2 10' subs

Old 06-03-2006, 01:15 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Your going to need a box for the subs, an amp, wiring for the amp, cd player, an installation kit for the cd player(new plastic so there isnt a gap where the old radio was), and a wiring harness for the new cd player.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Chopper1
All Star

I took my rear cup holders out. Never got used anyway....Have some pics in the gallery

Quick Reply: audio question