2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'll probably have to trade the truck.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 10:39 AM
jrmcx
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll probably have to trade the truck.

I've got a 2001 V6 Dodge 1500 SS SB SC 40K miles. I always buy the least expensive / equiped trucks because I'm not a SUV wannabe. I've driven a P.U. of one kind or another for 30yrs. I'm 59 now, and though I live in N.W. Indiana I work in Illinois and need to drive a lot to different jobs within my vocation. Recently in Chicago, they closed down a major N.S. thoughway for two years worth of renovation. This has created a traffic nightmare for me. A 150 mile round trip takes 5 hrs. and about $25 in gas in stop and go traffic. Since my truck is a 5 speed manual, I must shift 50,000 times in 150 miles. My left leg muscles are so much bigger than my right from throwing in the clutch that I walk in circles.

So even though I can't afford it I'm gonna have to buy a little car like a Chevy Cobalt. I can't afford anything else. Besides if you buy something nice some moron will run into you before you can get it to the license facility. This gas B.S really pisses me off, but the traffic is killing me. I know, like nobody else has problems. Anger vented, sorry.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: I'll probably have to trade the truck.

ORIGINAL: jrmcx

I've got a 2001 V6 Dodge 1500 SS SB SC 40K miles. I always buy the least expensive / equiped trucks because I'm not a SUV wannabe. I've driven a P.U. of one kind or another for 30yrs. I'm 59 now, and though I live in N.W. Indiana I work in Illinois and need to drive a lot to different jobs within my vocation. Recently in Chicago, they closed down a major N.S. thoughway for two years worth of renovation. This has created a traffic nightmare for me. A 150 mile round trip takes 5 hrs. and about $25 in gas in stop and go traffic. Since my truck is a 5 speed manual, I must shift 50,000 times in 150 miles. My left leg muscles are so much bigger than my right from throwing in the clutch that I walk in circles.

So even though I can't afford it I'm gonna have to buy a little car like a Chevy Cobalt. I can't afford anything else. Besides if you buy something nice some moron will run into you before you can get it to the license facility. This gas B.S really pisses me off, but the traffic is killing me. I know, like nobody else has problems. Anger vented, sorry.

I totally understand your frustrations.....as I live in Indianapolis....and know all about that entire Chicago traffic nightmare.....even on a good day its a joke...

While you are looking at cars, keep in mind Kia/Hyundai....granted....they arent the greatest things....but they are usually pretty gas efficient, under 11k for like a fully loaded econo box, and 10 yr 100k warranty is worth it.

Good luck in your vehicle hunting and hello from a fellow Hoosier..

Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
jrmcx
Rookie

Thanks, well see how it goes. Truck is due for a lot of maintanance. Plates are due the end of August. Truck plates can't be xfered to a car here. So I'm hoping to get something done by 8/1.
How are Korean cars on engine life? People I talk to around here are getting 250K out of their Chevy Cavaliers, which is the precursor to the Cobalt.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:23 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

i'd suggest looking at http://chicago.craigslist.org/car/ there are usualy a bunch of lower miles econboxes for cheaper than dealer prices. about 70% are person owned and maybe 30% are dealer owned but it gives you another place to look. if you look at www.craigslist.org there are other cities to look under too.

just my place to find auto parts DIRT CHEAP.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:44 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: jrmcx

Thanks, well see how it goes. Truck is due for a lot of maintanance. Plates are due the end of August. Truck plates can't be xfered to a car here. So I'm hoping to get something done by 8/1.
How are Korean cars on engine life? People I talk to around here are getting 250K out of their Chevy Cavaliers, which is the precursor to the Cobalt.
I know all about the Cavaliers...as I've had several friends with them or who have had them....I also used to drive a Chevy Beretta Z26. The only reason I mentioned the Kia/Hyundais....is simply that they have a couple of cars that are basically under 11k or so brand new with a 10 yr, 100k warranty. I wasnt sure what your financial situation was....and wasnt sure if you wanted to keep/toss the truck or not.

If your going to trade in the truck, I'd look at several cars that average 25+ mpg....

Old 06-07-2006, 10:29 AM
jrmcx
Rookie

Here's a pic of the truck. I know in the scheme of thing it ain't much. But it's exactly what I want. Talking to these dealers is like talking to Dracula. "I vont to suck your vallet". I'm hoping for a new job in a couple weeks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16276/ADC8D592314D4BD6B627CC5269A3CCCB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

hate to lose ya to the chevy.. you should check out the dodge caliber... pretty sweet ride.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:14 PM
metlhed01

the new yaris isnt too bad of a little car either..

Quick Reply: I'll probably have to trade the truck.