2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Surging/Bucking while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:36 PM
mikebrown123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Surging/Bucking while driving

Perfect, thanks for the quick response, I just got done changing it (3 seconds), so I am going to take it around the block and see if it's any better.

This site is really the best out there and I am telling anyone I know with a Dodge to come here first before going to the mechanic (for simple fixes).

I appreciate the help!!!

Old 08-15-2006, 11:17 AM
mikebrown123

Seems that the TOS has fixed my problem!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!!

Old 08-15-2006, 01:12 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikebrown123

Seems that the TOS has fixed my problem!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone!!
Cool! glad to hear it's fixed...

Old 05-07-2015, 02:20 PM
jbearj1087
Default jbears question

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
I dont have a recommendation on a tps, they're probably all equally good. what i'd suggest 1st is open your fuse box and check your o2 sensor heater fuse. this being blown can cause similar problems to what you describe.

also do you have any problems with your a/c heater system where it only blows on the windshield?

edit: Oh yeah, do you have a CE light on? have you tried to get the codes out yet? key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds will spit them out the odometer and read PDone when all the codes have been displayed

Hello, I'm jbearj1087. I am new to the forum. Thank you for having me. My question to the above post is a question about why you would ask the question about the a/c system only blowing put the windshield vents. My truck occasionally does that and has a surge while driving occasionally. I can hold my foot steady on the gas and the truck seems to have a loss of power then suddenly the engine rpm's raise and the truck has full power. My ce light does come on but the code is always a problem with the o2 censor. I do have some oil pooling in the bottom of my intake manifold. I have a Hughes kit to repair my plenum. I'm just waiting to get a new timing set before I install it along with a new water pump. I guess my second question would be, could the surging and o2 code and a/c issue be caused by the intake plenum leak? BTY, my Mopar is a 94 ram 1500 5.9 4x4. With 70,000 mi on the engine. I believe its a crate motor. Date code is from 1995 on the block. Thanks for reading and hopefully I make some Mopar heads turn!

Old 05-07-2015, 02:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Real possibility all your problems are indeed related. I would suggest doing your plenum, timing set, and O2 sensors in one shot. Clear the PCM, and drive it for a bit. See what happens.

If you are holding steady state cruise, and the tach bounces about and down about 200 RPM, randomly, that's generally related to TPS.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:45 PM
jbearj1087
Default thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Real possibility all your problems are indeed related. I would suggest doing your plenum, timing set, and O2 sensors in one shot. Clear the PCM, and drive it for a bit. See what happens.

If you are holding steady state cruise, and the tach bounces about and down about 200 RPM, randomly, that's generally related to TPS.

I will update my findings next week with my results if I have the time and money for the repairs.
P.s. does anybody know how I can check to see if my rear end has a limited slip diff. I was told it does years ago but it doesn't seem to work. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it doesn't work.... have to pull the cover to be absolutely sure. Getting a build sheet will tell you if one is supposed to be there.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:01 AM
jbearj1087
Default Plenum update

So I have installed the Hughes plenum, O2 sensor, new water pump, timing set oil pressure sensor ( accidently broke my old one ), but on the plus side my oil pressure gauge works now. Also I installed a 180° thermostat, new vaccum lines, cleaned the fuel rail and injectors, and I also checked my map, tps and IAC. All my issues except for one have been resolved, and i no longer have a check engine light. I have a strong fuel smell that seems to be coming from the exhaust during start up and while sitting at a stop light. I'm thinking a leaky injector bit I don't have the tools to check for that yet. Otherwise I'm a happy camper and can't wait to buy some headers for it. Thanks for reading everyone

Old 07-31-2015, 11:53 AM
jbearj1087
Default Update time!

Its been a little over a month since my last update. (This may be the wrong place to post this) anyway. Truck has ran good since all my repairs. I now have a set of pacesetter shorty headers installed and BOY AM I HAPPY! You have to love the torque of a magnum. Look out f@$d and ch&%y, this ram is coming for you. One small problem. The issue I had that I fixed when I replaced my O2 (idle drops than eventually revs up then back to normal issue) happened to me shortly after I started the truck yesterday morning. Here's my thoughts. O2 sensor contamination. The sensor is in my CAT pointing out towards my tranny pan which has a leak. ? If tranny fluid gets on the outside body of the sensor between the connector and the CAT could it possibly not read the outside air correctly this throwing a CEL code? Thank you for reading and any advice I receive!

Old 08-01-2015, 04:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Are you actually getting an O2 code? What brand O2 sensors did you install?

Quick Reply: Surging/Bucking while driving