2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Surging/Bucking while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:44 AM
jbearj1087
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are you actually getting an O2 code? What brand O2 sensors did you install?
The sad thing is I know I should have got a better one. The box doesn't have a brand name on it. All I know is it was made in Taiwan. I didn't see that when I bought it. I'll do an experiment and install the original one and test the new one to see what results I get. I will eventually get a good one from the dealer or an NTK

Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 AM
jbearj1087

I am getting a code 21.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

What year is your truck?

Let us know what happens.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:23 PM
Rick32
Amateur
Default Same issues kinda

Having the same issues kinda at cold start up and fire right up some mornings or afternoons but at warm startup it wants to fire then choke out unless I tap the throttle a little I don't have any codes throwing that I checked recently last one was high voltage at throttle position sensor I sense have changed that I have also changed the idle air control valve I've also changed your brake booster and the transmission has been completely rebuilt who I bought the truck from put straight pipes with no cat all the way to the rear I cut it out and put in a x-pipe with an O2 sensor for the upstream welded in and that is my only O2 that I'm currently running I did notice at Cold starts I was having a lot of water out of the exhaust could this have found my plug out for the O2 also it was driving fun once it was started up but it had a random vacuum leak that I could not Trace down to anything

Old 01-09-2023, 01:20 PM
Rick32
Amateur
Default Thanks guys I just did a huge intake plenum repair kit now I'm having flooding issues

Originally Posted by mikebrown123
Not sure how to even ask for advise on this one. 2001 RAM 1500 Sport 5.9ltr 360 with about 55000 miles and lots of past repairs. Street ONLY truck!!

For a little while, I have been having surging while in Park or idling at lights...the RPM's will go from the normal 600-700 up to 1500 almost like I was pushing on the accelerator. I can kick it down for a little while, but it comes back after a few minutes. Now, while driving, I am getting a bucking/surging while driving down the road and it seems to be running like crap. I am getting NO backfiring and there is a slight loss of power. If I gun it and get the RPM's up to 3500 or so, it seems just fine. Mostly happens around 40mph and the RPM's don't race or drop when it is having the issue (most of the time now).

A while back, I had a CE light come on and had the Auto Store plug it in (could barely climb hills) and found it had a mis-fire on #8. I replaced the Plugs and Wires and the light went off and everything was running great.

I am due to have a TB cleaning and injectors blown out, but does this sound like anything more serious (tranny)? I also notice that on my TransferCase, it seems to be 'wet' around that crappy plastic plug, but not dripping in the Driveway.

Had some other problems a couple weeks back and needed to change the passenger side hub as I had a bad wheel bearing (actually how I found this forum). I think I got a lemon as I have done way too mush to this truck for it only being 5 years old and problems started shortly after I got it (new off the showroom floor).

I will be a regular on this site as I am keeping it because it's paid for and I really have a love/hate thing gong on!!!!
Recentlyrecently did a plenum change and now the issue is that it's flooding out it started up fine right after the plenum was installed went to give it throttle and choked out let it sit overnight the next day it started up just fine with no filter over the intake

Old 01-09-2023, 05:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick32
Recentlyrecently did a plenum change and now the issue is that it's flooding out it started up fine right after the plenum was installed went to give it throttle and choked out let it sit overnight the next day it started up just fine with no filter over the intake
Check that your two-wire temp sender is hooked up. It is just to the drivers side of the thermostat housing, cleverly concealed behind/under the a/c compressor.

Quick Reply: Surging/Bucking while driving