2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Motors junk please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 10:32 PM
tireman_steve
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motors junk please help

well guys my dodge is going and it aint going to get any better, i have a 99 ram sport 5.2 with 66,000 miles and all of the places i took it to (about 10 becasue i didnt belive it) they sad i had a lower end motor knock upon cold start up and it goes 60% away in appox. 8-10 mins. sadly i can't sell my truck likie this and i was going to. im pissed i bought the truck 7 months ago for 10,000 dollars! now for money reasons i couldnt afford it BUT i cant sell it with that. my question is, is there a temporary fix i could do so the motor is not as loud. i know its wrong but its just busniess i cant take a big loss on this and i dont have the money to rebuild

Old 07-11-2006, 11:56 PM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran
Default RE: Motors junk please help

Motor Honey/Engine Honey, I believe it's called...should quiet it up for a bit. I wouldn't feel bad doing this...anyone that is researching a vehicle can ask for an oil sample and send it out if they wanted to...trouble is, most don't know they can do that...it's the same as someone getting ripped off since they didn't look at KBB/NADA values and end up paying too much...it's their own fault in my opinion...the tools are there for the using, so they can't b!tch when they don't use those tools

Old 07-12-2006, 03:10 AM
don_ripley

Best I can think for now is putting lots of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in 'er. Change oil frequently and don't hog on 'er too much. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:44 AM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie

ORIGINAL: fiveliterbtr

Motor Honey/Engine Honey, I believe it's called...should quiet it up for a bit. I wouldn't feel bad doing this...anyone that is researching a vehicle can ask for an oil sample and send it out if they wanted to...trouble is, most don't know they can do that...it's the same as someone getting ripped off since they didn't look at KBB/NADA values and end up paying too much...it's their own fault in my opinion...the tools are there for the using, so they can't b!tch when they don't use those tools

ehh.Knowingly doctoring up something to sell it is rotten and low down.Did you know regardless if it is ASIS,You sell a car or truck to someone that you doctored up for resale,It breaks,And it ends up hurting them in someway you can get sued and you will most likely lose?Now quieting down an engine for resale most likely will not hurt anyone.But its unfortunate that it happened to you.But again maybe you didnt change your oil or you beat it.Now the next guy who might be unknowing is going to be scammed out of his hard earned cash too.Do the right thing man.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:47 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

yeah, do the right thing... quiet it down and trade it in... dealers screw consumers enough... payback time!

seriously though, you may want to try 60 wt racing oil & the lucas stabilizer... 60 wt will do wonders.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 AM
tireman_steve
Rookie

ya i was going to take it to a dealer a lot easier plus no guilty consisus they screwed me so i was thinking doing right back to them

Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 PM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ChaoticBastard

ehh.Knowingly doctoring up something to sell it is rotten and low down.Did you know regardless if it is ASIS,You sell a car or truck to someone that you doctored up for resale,It breaks,And it ends up hurting them in someway you can get sued and you will most likely lose?Now quieting down an engine for resale most likely will not hurt anyone.But its unfortunate that it happened to you.But again maybe you didnt change your oil or you beat it.Now the next guy who might be unknowing is going to be scammed out of his hard earned cash too.Do the right thing man.
It's not rotten and lowdown to me...that "knock" could do that for another 50,000 miles with no harm, no foul...look at the 3.1 GM engines with their piston slap...anyone that's heard it before thinks the engine is about to let go...but nothing happens...had a piston slap in the T/A 5.7...got the car at 18,000 miles and it never changed when I traded it in for my truck at 47,000 miles...had a regular customer at my previous employer with an old-a$$ Shadow 3.0...had one of the most horrendus rod knocks I've ever heard...we saw them several times a year for LOF and maintenance stuff...noise didn't change in the 5 years I was there.

Anyone with any common sense looking to spend big $ on a vehicle that they have no idea how it was driven/maintained/etc. should know better...caveat emptor, let the buyer beware, it's a used vehicle and should be looked at with caution...use Carfax, use KBB/NADA, use the oil sample kits, and ask questions...it is fraud if the seller is asked "Does or has the engine knocked?" and is told no. If it's not asked, there's no legal basis for a lawsuit, bottom line.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:21 AM
tireman_steve
Rookie

you know your right the noise has not gotten any worse and prolly could go who know how many miles i dunno i think i just over reacted anyways the noise does almost go away after 10min and even though every one says its bottem end i really dont know ive checked the flex plate and its all good maybe poor oil pressure or pump i should pull the pan to check the screen i dunno thinker oil only semms to make it worse tryed the honey sounded worse went back to just 10-30 and sounded a bit better seems no diff today, i think this maybe a long drawn out process ive tryed before and found nothing its just oone of those things that no one can fig

Old 07-13-2006, 03:22 AM
ChaoticBastard
Rookie

It's not rotten and lowdown to me...that "knock" could do that for another 50,000 miles with no harm, no foul...look at the 3.1 GM engines with their piston slap...anyone that's heard it before thinks the engine is about to let go...but nothing happens...had a piston slap in the T/A 5.7...got the car at 18,000 miles and it never changed when I traded it in for my truck at 47,000 miles...had a regular customer at my previous employer with an old-a$$ Shadow 3.0...had one of the most horrendus rod knocks I've ever heard...we saw them several times a year for LOF and maintenance stuff...noise didn't change in the 5 years I was there.

Anyone with any common sense looking to spend big $ on a vehicle that they have no idea how it was driven/maintained/etc. should know better...caveat emptor, let the buyer beware, it's a used vehicle and should be looked at with caution...use Carfax, use KBB/NADA, use the oil sample kits, and ask questions...it is fraud if the seller is asked "Does or has the engine knocked?" and is told no. If it's not asked, there's no legal basis for a lawsuit, bottom line.

Thats why you are you and I am who I am.I wouldnt do it.Not everyone buying a truck has mechanical knowhow.Maybe a girl or an older gent whom never worked on a car in there life buys it.Is it justified that they get stuck with it because of lack of knowledge??

Old 07-13-2006, 04:13 AM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

Thats why you are you and I am who I am.I wouldnt do it.Not everyone buying a truck has mechanical knowhow.Maybe a girl or an older gent whom never worked on a car in there life buys it.
So girls and older folks don't work on cars? Gimme a break...if there's people that naive in the world, I can't imagine them being able to drive a car or truck...anyone without mechanical knowhow looking to buy a used vehicle takes it to their mechanic/garage for an inspection, I see it every week. And if they don't, it's their own fault...what if this truck has some safety-worn front end part that the seller doesn't know about? The buyer takes it home and breaks a tie rod on the way, losing control and injuring someone...is the seller liable? Of course not, it's a used vehicle! It's not that hard to understand.

Is it justified that they get stuck with it because of lack of knowledge??
Get stuck with what? You're basing your argument on the possibility that the engine is gonna break...there's nothing to say that it will or won't...but like the above tie-rod comparison, there's no covering up anything...it has a noise that may sound the same for the next 75,000 miles...it's a used vehicle, people need to take responsibility for their decision to buy a vehicle without a warranty, and they need to take responsibility for not having it thoroughly inspected before buying it.

Quick Reply: Motors junk please help