2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

radio????

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 02:23 AM
ssrdo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio????

So I got a new truck today, and it doesnt have the infinity package. My borther has a factory infinity radio that he took out of his truck and I was wondering if it would work in my truck? If anyone has any input on this or a suggestion for a good aftermarket headunit that has cd and cassette feel free to reply any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-14-2006, 03:09 AM
ssrdo
Default RE: radio????

Anyone????

I dont want to drive an hour to get the radio and have it not work. I can not stand not having a cd player

Old 07-14-2006, 03:16 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

well in this day and age... i haven't seen a tape for sale outside of a garage sale. cd's sound much much better. if you're looking for mid range head units that work perfectly in the stock ram's non infinity stereo take a look at sony's xplod line. i've been very happy with mine. removable face, mp3, sirus capable.. and that's two years old now.

it also works well tied to my dual infinty subs.

there is more to the infinty package than just the head unit. there are the tweeters, bridgers, and factory amps. so if you get all that stuff too, then it might be worth it. personally the infinty system is going to be at least 5 years old at this point (i'm thinking one from an 01) so you'd probably be better off just upgrading and getting new components.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:19 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

It would be a big hassle running wires. A mid-line pioneer is what I would rec. as far as headunits go.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:16 PM
RJlovesbeer
Rookie

yeah, don't bother with putting that used infiniti system in the truck. It will probbably require a great deal of effort, and where would you mount the tweeters? (i'm assuming your non-infiniti system didnt come stock with components). You can pick up a pair of 6x9s and 5 1/4s so cheap, and they will sound SO much better. like crazy said, xplod isn't a bad way to go, for speakers or headunit. i have an xplod amp I am very satisfied with. Also i would suggest rockford fosgate, only because that is what I put in my rears and I am extremely impressed with the sound quality. Look to your local electronics megastore (like bestbuy, circuit city) if you don't know of any good stero shops around you. they have sales on items all the time and you can get a high quality pioneer, sony, or jvc headunit for a decent deal. it's all personal preference, so best just to go to the store and check the units out.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:51 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you get the new unit, go ahead and spring for the mounting plate adapter (~$18) and the wiring harness adapter ($18). It produces an A1 installation thats tight, and looks good, removable if necessary. Throw away any tapes. Get cd's or mp3's.
I got a simple pioneer unit at best buy for about $150. plays mp3's. Its all I needed.

Quick Reply: radio????