2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Volant CAI and ram air scoop

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 05:51 PM
nascarnut
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volant CAI and ram air scoop

Has anyone tried the Volant setup. I'm seriously thinking about it because it looks fairly solid plus you can upgrade to the ram air scoop later on for even better results. I want to put a CAI on my 360 but I don't want to do it cheaply i.e I don't want to buy the cheapest I can find

Old 08-05-2006, 01:11 PM
ramchrgr88
Professional
Default RE: Volant CAI and ram air scoop

I dont know for sure, but i have read reviews on that when i was looking at getting one. many of the reviews i read said that they had a hard time getting it to fit, and it was a pain in the butt to install. Again, i have not tried this myself, but this worried me, so i went with the K&N cold air FIPK gen II. Its tried and true, and on the 5.9, they send a dyno sheet showing 11.8 HP gain at the rear wheels, but at autozone, on my 5.2, i got 10.4 gain at the rearwheels, but i also have an exhaust and ignition, which i am sure help those numbers be a little more drastic. So the numbers on the 5.9 have got to be pretty damn accurate since that engine has more power potential. I would recomend the K&N simply because the company is tried and true, and have great customer service. I dont think the Volant will get you those numbers, but is something different if thats what you are looking for! Good luck with whatever you choose, and hope that everything works out for you![sm=signs003.gif]

Old 08-05-2006, 05:36 PM
nascarnut
Professional

Thanks, so generally your saying the K and N is worth it? also have you seen any increase in MPG? I'm not buying a CAI just purely to increase econ. but it would be nice to know if it helps any. P.S where is the cheapest to get it.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:15 PM
ramsportguy
Professional

Nascarnut,
go on ebay and look under dodge ram k&n intake they will have the k&n FIPK gen II setups there.I was gonna get a used 1 here from a guy that was selling 1 here but i couldnt wait anymore so i went there n there selling them for 199.99 + 28.00 S&H and from what i was told there worth the money.I was too looking at a volant air box setup and to me the price is way out of reach.I heard more positive responces about the K&N setup then the volant.Hope this helps some...

thanks
pat

Old 08-05-2006, 07:47 PM
ramchrgr88
Professional

I just ordered my K&N from Advance auto parts $306 after tax. i have had a noticable gain in MPG. it is definatly worth the money. I would stay away from the ebay ones just becuase i have heard that a lot of those are not the real K&N FIPK kits. they are knock off brands that look the same, but then they dont have the million mile warrenty or any customer support should something happen. Stay away from ebay for expensive auto parts, just my recommendation.

Never buy something you cannot see first, you never what you are getting.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:03 PM
ramsportguy
Professional

Not for nothing but i totally disagree with your last statement.I purchased a 2 inch leveling kit from top gun customz w/ just a advertised pic and they stood by their product 100% off of ebay. this company i bought it from does the same and has a very high feedback so i am gonna stand by their rating.I have sold and purchased many parts off of ebay and not once did i come up unsatisfied.Dont believe everything you buy off of ebay is a crap shoot of a gamble becasue it isnt.

thanks
pat

Old 08-06-2006, 12:32 AM
vsraptor
Professional

i paid $280 at

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

free shipping and i love it.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:31 AM
nascarnut
Professional

thanks everyone, I do believe I'll go with the K and N. I've run their filters in all my trucks and they helped wonders. Thanks for the input and two cents

Old 08-06-2006, 04:50 PM
ramchrgr88
Professional

Sorry if I seem to have been putting down all things on ebay. I too buy many things from there, and sell even more. I know most people dont screw up, but if you read closely at some of the feedback on the K&N FIPK for 2nd gen Rams, there are few that say that its an imitation intake and they were rather upset. I know this could just be mean people causing problems, but i was just putting the warning out there to make sure people dont buy the stuff off of there on impulse because of the low price. Didnt meant to sound like all ebay sellers are scams...just a warning that some are

ask the seller for an actual photo of it, or just ask if it really is real.

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2006, 03:43 PM
ramsportguy
Professional

I just received my k&n fipk II from the 1 i purchased on ebay, and it is the REAL deal.I paid 227.00 (shipping included) for my setup and i cant wait to put it in.So if your skeptical on buying it from ebay dont be it is real not a imitation..
thanks
pat

Quick Reply: Volant CAI and ram air scoop