2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Synthetic Oil High Mileage??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:33 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Synthetic Oil High Mileage??

just remember when you do switch you're going to have to do that first change a lot sooner than you'd think. i did the first one after i switched over at about 2000 miles. REALLY DIRTY OIL.. got a lot of sludge out of the engine. did a few changes with the napa synthetic oil (think it was still part dino don't really remember the mix) then just this last time switched over to royal purple. gotta say getting 12 quarts for the price of one was really nice . yeah that's a good story i'll tell it if ya care. but i already did a couple weeks ago.. like two maybe three. stuff has been good so far. oh and use a decent/really good filter. i decided to up the filter this time to the best napa had to offer. seems good if not better than anything else so far.

i'm running between 5-7k miles on the change... i just don't like pushing it. royal purple says it's good for 12k.

oh and when you do switch to synthetic, make sure you put the drain plug back in.. don't want to waste all that nice new oil.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:45 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: silverram99

You said that you were using Penzoil now? The other day me and my Auto teacher at the college were talking about Penzoil and he made the comment that it contained some sort of wax. He was saying that if you switch to another oil after using Penzoil that the wax tends to cause alot of sludge build up in your motor. I had never heard this before and its possible that he is wrong. I know that if you are using Penzoil and go to synthetic, that the oil is going to be very dirty because the synthetic will break up alot of crap that is in your motor. I know it was that way with mine when I switched but the previous owner was using Quaker State. I use Castrol Syntec 5-30 now. I switched over at 75,000 miles and I have put about 14,000 more on it since then with no problems. Anyways not sure about the Penzoil thing maybe someone else has heard of it.
The teacher was refering to the fact (rumor?) that, back in the day, Penzoil and Quaker State motor oils USED to be based on Pennsylvania State crude oil which is reported to contain a larger than average amount of paraffin wax. This would show up as waxy build-up on the inside of your valve covers and anywhere else oil was allowed to splash against a reletively cooler surface. I'm sure that these two companies now use whatever crude they can get their hands on ... just like all the other refiners. This would NEVER apply to synth, of course.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:56 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: TMS Bill

ORIGINAL: silverram99

You said that you were using Penzoil now? The other day me and my Auto teacher at the college were talking about Penzoil and he made the comment that it contained some sort of wax. He was saying that if you switch to another oil after using Penzoil that the wax tends to cause alot of sludge build up in your motor. I had never heard this before and its possible that he is wrong. I know that if you are using Penzoil and go to synthetic, that the oil is going to be very dirty because the synthetic will break up alot of crap that is in your motor. I know it was that way with mine when I switched but the previous owner was using Quaker State. I use Castrol Syntec 5-30 now. I switched over at 75,000 miles and I have put about 14,000 more on it since then with no problems. Anyways not sure about the Penzoil thing maybe someone else has heard of it.
The teacher was refering to the fact (rumor?) that, back in the day, Penzoil and Quaker State motor oils USED to be based on Pennsylvania State crude oil which is reported to contain a larger than average amount of paraffin wax. This would show up as waxy build-up on the inside of your valve covers and anywhere else oil was allowed to splash against a reletively cooler surface. I'm sure that these two companies now use whatever crude they can get their hands on ... just like all the other refiners. This would NEVER apply to synth, of course.
That is interesting. He just made the comment that it works good if you use only Penzoil and not so good if you try a different brand of oil. At any rate though, thanks for explaing that because if I didn't have so much respect for the guys ability to fix stuff I would probably consider him crazy.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

And so do you guys notice any difference w/ the synth oil? like what differences list em all and good or bad.

Snow,? i have to do more then one blend change? 2 or 3? how many?

Old 09-01-2006, 08:08 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More interesting reading: http://www.hcpresearch.com/amsoil.html

Old 09-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

thats cool, i probably got a lil sludge in there then..

Old 09-10-2006, 10:40 PM
juspay4speed

ok, first of just switch to Mobil 1 Fully synthetic with a Mobil 1 Filter (dont bother using a fram if you want it to work), then change the oil at about 2K miles. from their run the AMSOIL fully Synthetic (good for 25K miles with a filter change at 6 months or 12.5k Miles) USE THE AMSOIL FILTER for this other wise your wasting your money and killing your engine. dont worry bout the synthetic blend as most of that is pointless!!

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil High Mileage??