2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Want to go higher..., need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Want to go higher..., need advice

So I have a 2" Skyjacker lift that consist of only a 2" coil in the front, and an AAL in the rear. I didn't go 3" at the time because I still wanted to fit in my garage. Now, I don't care about that anymore so I want to bump it up a little more. I happen to know that the AAL that came with my D201K kit from Skyjacker is the same one that comes in the D301k 3" kit. So if I was to go to 3", there is nothing I need to do in the rear. What would be the best thing to do in the front:

A) Find a 1" spacer to go on top of my current 2" coils. I have heard rumors that these exist, but I have never seen one for a 4x4, only the 4x2.

B) Replace my 2" coil with a 3" coil. This would be the easiest, but I hate to buy another set of coils. Trying to do this inexpensively.

C) Body lift. Would a 1" or 2" body lift even be possible, or worth the effort? What all would need to be modified (steering, bumper, etc???)

D) Put a 2" spacer on top of my 2" coils. I know, that would be more then 3", but would be pretty simple and cheap to do. If I did this, would I need new control arms? Might require a new AAL for the rear too so it doesn't look nose high.

What would you guys recommend. I know 3" is not nearly as high as most of your rigs, but it is all I can do while still keeping the wife happy. Money is an issue right now too since we just had a baby.

Thanks for any advise.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Tani1500
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Want to go higher..., need advice

they make a 3/4 inch spacer that goes on the bottom of the coil, you can do the 2inch spacer and you should still be alright with your control arms. another option would be to put your stock coils back in and get a 3inch spacer, or like you said you can get a new coil. they dont make a 1inch body lift. only 2 or 3. personally i would go that route. the install isnt that hard. i did it myself with simple hand tools in a day. i also like the body lift because it gives you alot more clearness around everything, you can reach the distributer and crap like that, top of the tranny, gas tank..... plus you dont have to worry about the alighment or getting new shocks.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:15 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Im with stupid ^

a bl would proly benefit you since your going higher mainly for looks... and prolly could use some more clearence as well.

a 2" bl would make that truck look kick ***.. when you start getting bigger on the suspension youll start needed more parts.. i bet your tbar wouldnt last as long if its still stock.. and .. if you think about this.. my offroad edition and your truck prolly sit the same size right now.. at least close enough.. also meaning that you and i have the same length CONTROL arms... when i put my 2" leveler on it pulled me axle back about an inch id say.. prolly have the same effect for you if you went with a 2" leveler and another AAL or a shim block.. i dont think anything needs to be modifiled with a 2" a 3" on the other hand yea.. correct me if im wrong anyway

i know tani redrilled hols for his bumper and it the fit and finish is better now then it was stock b/c he could tuck it up a bit higher.. maybe some other dudes with bl's can chime in.. i know im doing one.. soon..

Old 09-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Chopper1
All Star

My two opinions would be to

A. Put a 3" spacer and the stock coils back in.

B. 3" body lift and reserve future suspension upgrades for next tire change/lift.

I'm getting ready to take my 3" Rancho suspension lift off and put a 5.5, 6" lift in its place if things work out well in the next couple of months. Each set of tires get larger.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Tani1500

they make a 3/4 inch spacer that goes on the bottom of the coil,
Who makes that 3/4" spacer, I have never seen one.

So if I did the body lift, what all needs to be modified besides the rear bumper? Gas filler neck? steering? anything else? Who makes a good 2" body lift?

I'm not super thrilled about putting my stock coil back in because it was a little saggy already. So if I put a 3" spacer on top of that, I am not really getting a full 3 inch lift compared to going with new 3" coils, probably more like 2.5 or 2.75 total. Still more then what I have now I suppose, but not sure if I would be enough to justify the cost.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Tani1500
Champion

ok first of all, i think you should do at least a 2 if not a 3 inch body lift. dude just adding one more inch isnt really even worth it. you would hardly see a difference. If your going body Get a PA, best out there. mine was great and the instructions where easy to follow. all i had to do was my t case shifter linkage. i think you dont even have to with the 98+ because theres enough adjustablity in the linkage. i didnt have to extend my gas lines either.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Tani1500

ok first of all, i think you should do at least a 2 if not a 3 inch body lift. dude just adding one more inch isnt really even worth it. you would hardly see a difference. If your going body Get a PA, best out there. mine was great and the instructions where easy to follow. all i had to do was my t case shifter linkage. i think you dont even have to with the 98+ because theres enough adjustablity in the linkage. i didnt have to extend my gas lines either.
Ya, your probably right. Problem is, if I go to big, then I have to buy tires and other things to make it look right. Not what I want to spend the money on at the moment. My 285's would still look fine with a 3", so that is why I was looking at that. I think I might just go for 3" coils if I can find some at a good price, or else my stock coils with 3" spacer, which aren't too expensive either. That would satisfy me until it's time that I have to buy tires, then I could do a body lift at that time (3" suspension with 2" or 3" body would look pretty good I think).

Old 09-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I think I have decided to just keep the 2" coils I have now, and go with a 2" body lift. That would give me 4" total, which is as high as I want to go for practicality purposes. Is there anything I am not considering?

Quick Reply: Want to go higher..., need advice