2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trucks broke down

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:46 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trucks broke down

my truck just broke down..... i was out with friends and it wouldnt start, tried jumping it, still wouldnt start, wouldnt even start to turn over........ didnt have hardly any time, so i pushed it into a parkin spot and i have to leave it there at least overnight (its a safe spot)

just had starter replaced about 5-6 months ago..... any guesses what it will be?

edit- forgot to say, lights flicker when i turned the key....

Old 09-15-2006, 03:39 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker
Default RE: trucks broke down

Electrical short somwhere, if you were muddin or puddle cruisin you might have gotten the main harness or some cruicial conection moist. Try again in the morning, then start chasing wires and ground paths. A meter wouls help alot in this.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:40 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

OOh, check all your main fuses too, not just the ones in the cab, but the ones in the power distribution center under the hood as well, could have popped one of those or shook something loose. I have done it.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:48 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ill check it if i get a chance to go..... i had to leave it at a shopping center over night and today i have school then football immediately after till 8....... and by 8 the parkin lot will be too crowded (fri night) then tomorrow i have to go out of town all day leavin at 7.... i dunno when i can get to it i may just tell a wrecker service to go get it[&:]

Old 09-15-2006, 03:03 PM
radwebster
Captain

sounds like a bad starter to me. just because you replaced it a few months ago doesnt mean the new one couldn't have been bad or inferior.

it ran fine correct? you just have issues starting it? i would definitely look at the starter first.

also, when you turn the key, do you hear a loud click? if it clicks, it means the starter solenoid is trying to light up the engine, but the actual starter motor is bad or failing.

my starter occasionally has issues like that. after wheelin or somethin, i'll go to start it and just get a click. after trying 8-10 times, it would fire right up.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 PM
hippie49445
Professional

Sounds like the same thing I had last year, actually the problem lead me to this site. After changing starter, bat and a few other things it turned out just to be my neg cable. Just because they look good doesn't mean it is. Try replacing your cables.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:40 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

yes, rad, it ran fine... just randomly wouldnt start up..... tried a dozen times, still nothing.... no click. AAA towed it today while i was at school..... took it to my mechanic ill see what he says

Quick Reply: trucks broke down