2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V 10 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 PM
murfman
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default V 10 Questions

I just sold my 99 CTD 3500 QC, and am looking at a 99 2500 QC Sport with a V-10. Are there any things I should look for specific to the V 10 that are problem areas? I was looking for a nother Diesel with 4x4 and a short bed, but found this clean V 10 and its a nice price (I think I can get it for~6000.00) with 92,000 miles on it. I was already looking at some upgrades, are the Stainless headers from E-bay any good? They are pretty reasonable price wise. I figure a Cold air kit, headers and a free flowing exhaust should held that big motor breathe. What is the real world MPG with these trucks (Cringe) I was figureing 9-11 regular driving, am I way off? Thanks Murf

Old 09-21-2006, 11:45 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V 10 Questions

Problems:
Transmission - Same issues as the Diesels have...since it's the same transmission.
Porous head castings - Supposedly fixed in the late 90s
Improper spark plug wire routing - Also supposedly fixed in the late 90s, though if someone has changed them they may not be routed correctly.

The stainless headers on ebay are junk The primaries will crack within 6 months. Pick up a set of Gibson headers, or Dynomax headers if you have the extra $300 lying around. They're the best headers out there for the V10.

Pick up a K&N FIPK off ebay though. It's definitely the best intake mod available for the V10, along with a throttle body from www.thefastman.com

Don't mess with the exhaust though. Replace the muffler if need be (Gibson again makes the best), but don't mess with the piping. You won't gain much of anything by doing so There have been many that have spent a lot of $$$$$ trying. And whatever you do, DO NOT go with true dual exhaust. It's the biggest waste of money on a V10...after the Jet chip and a throttle body spacer of course.

I run a performance PCM in my truck, so I burn premium fuel. I average 14mpg, and that's 85-90% highway. I don't do a lot of town/city driving. You'd probably be sitting around 10-12 (empty) if you do a lot of city driving. The great thing about the V10 that I've found, is that when you put a load behind it...the mileage doesn't drop off

Old 09-21-2006, 11:49 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

makes me want a V10 now.. [:'(]

Old 09-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

Ill sell you one of my V-10s

The V-10 is not the horendous Gas Guzziling pig everyone makes it out to be. Think of it this way, 8 cylinders uses lots of fuel to move heavy truck be cause the motor has to work harder. Add 2 more cylinders and the motor doesnt have to work as hard. Im not saying that they are comparible to a Honda Civic or anything. And you get used to filling that big tank.

One problem that was not mentioned by Burning Rom is, well, there is a major flaw with the rear tires , see Burning Roms signature for a pic of what happens

Old 09-22-2006, 03:11 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Spike7ss
One problem that was not mentioned by Burning Rom is, well, there is a major flaw with the rear tires , see Burning Roms signature for a pic of what happens
Yeah, I forgot that issue The way to remedy it though is to buy extra hard AT tires...that show no sign of wear even when you do a huge smokey burn-out [&:] and instead wear holes into the blacktop [8D]

Old 09-22-2006, 05:03 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional

I totally love my 99 V 10. It tows my 11 000 lbs 5th and still gets 10 mpg, of course it only gets about 10 mpg regardless. K&N cold are intake is a must have because the stock intake is very restrictive. Since I've owned it: I've done brakes, throtle position sensor, rear speed sensor, tranny flush (which cleared up a second gear shifting problem), fuel pump (only because it has the built in filter) and it needs the A/C compressor replaced because the bearings went. It has 125 000 KM. I also run synthetic oil because I gained .5 MPG, I was only getting 9.5 at best.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44864/102096C170AC4494B9F0FAD84225D9EF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-22-2006, 08:38 PM
mattbookpro

I have had my 98 QC Sport V10 for 3 months. I get 11mpg city. I don't have that "smokey rear tire" problem :P, except when it rains. It pulls our 8,000lb boat up the interstate through a canyon at freeway speeds. Seems like it doesn't care if there's anything connected to the hitch or not. Oh, and I love that the engine temp, even under heavy strain, stays at or below the half way line.

I did just start noticing something though. When it's been sitting for a while (like during work for 8 hours) and I get in to start it, it has a problem starting up. The motor has to crank a few times to get running. After that though I can shut it off and start it right back up. Is this something someone has heard of?

-Matt

Old 09-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

I see Im not the only one with a V-10 in Canada on here.

Anyways, if anyone is considering running a softer compound tire, I wouldnt recomend it. I have found some bad tires to run on these trucks are Goodyear MTRs, Procomp Xterrains, Bridgestone Dueller MTs, and any other softer tire

The Burning Rom is your "V-10 Knowledge bank". He can awnser any questions you have, well he has been able to awnser all my stupid ones.

Another problem area on the V-10 is exhaust manifolds cracking.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:54 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I haven't heard of too many problems with cracked exhaust manifolds. I'll be sure to check mine when I do my valve covers...sometime in the future [&:]

ORIGINAL: mattbookpro
I did just start noticing something though. When it's been sitting for a while (like during work for 8 hours) and I get in to start it, it has a problem starting up. The motor has to crank a few times to get running. After that though I can shut it off and start it right back up. Is this something someone has heard of?
This seems to be common with the V10s as they get older. My truck sits for weeks at a time, and always starts hard when I take it out for a drive. It started really hard when I first got it. After switching oils (to 10W-30...I think it had a straight weight before) and replacing the fuel pump, it started a LOT better. It started even better when I switched out the battery for a newer/larger one (1000 CCA), but it still likes to crank for a bit. My next suspect is the starter, which I will be switching out sometime next year if I have the $$$$ for it.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:52 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

dont be afraid to run 5W30 in your truck. I run 5W30 dam near all year around, even at -40C up here.

[&:]

Quick Reply: V 10 Questions