2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

squeek

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Tempsho
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: squeek

I also have a squeak (Its more of a chirping/cricket like sound) coming from the front end as well. It happens when I drive over cracks or hit pot holes. Im thinking it might be ball joints, or maybe even control arm bushings. Anybody else have other input for us?

Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 AM
TNOffroadPhiDelt

ORIGINAL: Tempsho

I also have a squeak (Its more of a chirping/cricket like sound) coming from the front end as well. It happens when I drive over cracks or hit pot holes. Im thinking it might be ball joints, or maybe even control arm bushings. Anybody else have other input for us?

I have this same squeak, but haven't been able to find it. Mine sounds more like a clucking chicken. I figured that it was a noisy transmission or body mount. I wonder if it could be the shifter linkage or the steering shaft joint? Any idea's on how to test? I have tried to determine exactly when it happens but it seems slightly irregular. I.E. the same types of bumps in the road don't cause it consistently. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 AM
TNOffroadPhiDelt

ORIGINAL: Tempsho

I have this same squeak, but haven't been able to find it. Mine sounds more like a clucking chicken. I figured that it was a noisy transmission or body mount. I wonder if it could be the shifter linkage or the steering shaft joint? Any idea's on how to test? I have tried to determine exactly when it happens but it seems slightly irregular. I.E. the same types of bumps in the road don't cause it consistently. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:41 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Tempsho & PhiDelt - it sounds like you have the maddening squeak I had. i read on another forum about the steering shaft slide joint needing lubed, and another post about the shifter linkage. I hit them both wih spray lithium grease and haven't had a noise since. I had tried everything for like a year and couldn't find it but this worked. there is a rubber boot on the steering shaft down toward the steering gearbox, pull that boot up and spray stuff in there. You have to go under the truck to get to the shifter linkage, I just sprayed every pivot point I could find on it. One of the spots I hit cured the problem.....

silverram99 - Sorry, but I'm on the other side of the state. St Charles County. West suburb of St Louis. There is one guy on here I know of - livinginhe - or something like that, he lives over by Osceola, SE of KC........

Old 10-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Tempsho
Professional

Well, about the steering shaft, I installed the borgeson shaft, and my truck is a 5 speed. (Not an auto)) So I dont think those 2 things are causing it. When I replace my control arm bushings i'll let you know if that fixes it or not. If not, the search continues!

Old 10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Some other things I looked at in the search for my noise: Hood bushings, battery moving in tray, body mount bushings, inner fenders tight, radiator movement, stuff like that.....

Old 10-07-2006, 07:46 PM
nugo

well, my squeeking pulses with the tires rotation i put new pads and rotors and that didnt fix it, but when i checked the rotor again, there was a brown mark all around the rotor from the pads. would the new pads just be bad or do you think it would be the caliper not compleatly releasing from the rotor? thanks

Old 10-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

...You might be on the right track now. If the calipers were not greased with brake caliper grease on all the slide points when they were put together, they might not be releasing all the way. I always clean mine with a wire brush before I grease them. It wouldn't hurt to take them back apart to clean and grease them and make sure everything moves correctly

Quick Reply: squeek