2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking of buying a ram q's...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:38 PM
sc0tty8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a ram q's...

Well I think I am going to buy a ram with an extended cab.

The units I am looking at are 4x4, auto, 5.9L.

I am looking at a hand ful from 95 to 98. Milage ranges from 90-124k, I am not looking to spend a lot or drive it much so milage is a non issue.

I am looking for some general info, I have been reading thru sites like edmunds at user reviews and such, but I need some other answers.

Some people I talk to told me do not buy a ram, the transmissions are junk. Is this true?

Also, how are these for reliability? I do not want anything that is going to break down on a weekly basis.

What should I be on the look out for?

Any info would be great.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:45 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of buying a ram q's...

welcome to DF...

some things to look for are a worn tracbar (easy fix), goes from the frame to the axle... feels like loose steering, leaky plenum gasket, it's on the bottom of the intake manifold and you can tell if it's leaking by lookign down the TB and seeing if there is any oil pooling on the bottom of the intake (easy fix), the transmission is an ok unit, could be built tougher but if you keep it serviced right you should have minimal issues with it. OD does not get much lubrication and is usually the 1st thing to have a problem. again, service is the key... 20~25k intervals and you should be good.

my 2000 never left me stranded...

when you find a truck, post info about it here and we'll be glad to help you out...

Old 10-04-2006, 07:46 PM
junkman306
Veteran

The ram is the best truck you can buy. Everybody says the tranny's are junk, but I've never had a problem with mine and I try to tear the hell out of it. Mine is reliable.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:13 PM
sc0tty8

Right now, these are what I have in mind...
http://www.valleyhutchinson.com/Inve...HF13Z9TG166311
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=74
http://www.valleyofapplevalley.com/I...HF13Z0SM169047

I am going to check out the green one tonight I think. I like the maroon one, dark windows, and running boards, but the milage/price is in question.

I seen another one that was worth a look, emailed them and they said it had a lifter tick.

I was emailing another dealer on another unit, told him what I want to spend and I found simulairly equiped trucks in the range I am looking for. They wanted $8995 for theirs and want to come take a look, but, I am not too hot about driving an HR to look at a truck with out any numbers in hand.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 AM
MuskratJames

I would say the Ram is as reliable as any other full-sizer out there. My Dad's '01 with 318 only had one problem, and it was just emissions junk, nothing important. The 318 (5.2l) and 360 (5.9) are both noted for their longevity and are fine towing engines, but neither has struck me as having particularly good low-end torque; Fords feel torquier to me, and the Chevys rev more easily. Transmission reliability, as in anything else, is a crapshoot (something Fords are renowned for). Some people's trannies last 200k+ miles, others crap out by 60k. The most you can do is see how it shifts in a test drive and look at the tranny fluid before you buy. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about the reliability.

The 360 is a good engine, as is the 318, but with the extra weight of the 4x4, you'll be happy you went with the 360; I wouldn't want any less in my van, which weighs in at about the same as a four-by Ram.

Other issues are leaky intake gaskets and pinging, but this is again a crapshoot; I, as well as many others, have neither problem, some have one, some have both. I wouldn't let it scare you too much though, every truck is going to have its quirky problem or two and those seem to be the ones for the Rams.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:06 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

the one with the lifter tick is an easy fix if it is indeed lifter tick... easiest way to find out is pour in 8~12 oz of marvel mystery oil in the crank and see if it goes away. I had lifter tick and in less than 2 minutes it was gone. put in 8~12 oz only and that was enough. ran smoother too.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 AM
sc0tty8

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

the one with the lifter tick is an easy fix if it is indeed lifter tick... easiest way to find out is pour in 8~12 oz of marvel mystery oil in the crank and see if it goes away. I had lifter tick and in less than 2 minutes it was gone. put in 8~12 oz only and that was enough. ran smoother too.
I am familiar with that product, I used it quite a bit, I got some in my ford right now, I seafoamed(vac line) and now mmo in the crank to get the crud out before winter.

I liked the green one, it seemed to pull pretty nice with little effort, the view was amazing, the mirrors are placed in a decent place, and I could see everything in there. Under hood looked clean, nothing like the dealer scrubbed it down or nothing, they must have changed the oil and trans fluid though, both seemed rather new Driving the truck, the thing that I did not like was the brakes-they sucked *****.

The one with the valve tick, I did not post above, but, I was thinking of going to check it out, its about 2 hours away though, which sucks. I figured worse case, new lifters/cam/misc gaskets and an afternoon later[X(] It only has like 79k on it.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:21 AM
MuskratJames

Yeah, I suppose the brakes aren't that hot in one of these compared to other trucks. Never thought about it since my last two vehicles were a Ford Bronco and a '68 Ford Mustang with PDB out of a '77 Granada...in other words, both of those sucked in the brake department, and I got used to it. I should drive my Dad's '05 F150 SCrew, see what the standard on modern brakes is these days.

One thing to think about is that a lifter tick can sound a lot like an exhaust leak, too...kinda of a clicky sound, both will increase and decrease with the engine revs. I had that sound on my Bronco, turns out that it had a warped exhaust manifold that caused it to leak right at the gasket surface with the cylinder head, something they're notorious for.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:48 AM
sc0tty8

Well I drove the red one, what a piece of ****! Before I got into it, I looked it over, the front tires where worn pretty bad on the edges of the tires, got in and took it for a sping, pulled hard to the right, the trans didn't know what gear it should be in, and with light gas, it rev'd to about 4000rpm. Driving it, it slammed into gears, brakes, 2 feet, all the way to the floor and truck still rolling. Also, made a weird bussing sound, and the front suspension needed some TLC.

We went and drove the green one again, if I can sell my ford, its mine, if not, I am stuck with the ford.

I also emailed the place that had the ram with the lifter tick, they said it was pretty bad, so, I am not going to waste my time lol. The green one seems to drive just fine.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a ram q's...