2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Flowmaster Exhaust - ~$200
31.82%
Magnaflow Cat - $159
11.36%
K&N CAI - $200
47.73%
Shift Kit - $109
9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Which mod should i do first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which mod should i do first?

Mine was like that until I did all my mods. If you have the 5.2 and the 3.55 rear gear - the truck will be doggy as hell. The area you mentioned between 45 and 50mph is the speed just above where the overdrive kicks in and the tc locks. Meaning the engine is really below the optimum rpm for power and torque. You have to gas it to get the rpm's back up so the engine will "pull". If you start doing mods like we suggested - it will help your engine to be more efficient and to "pull" better.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:09 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried a lot of different parts on my 96 and some worked and others didnt. ($30k+). The one that gave the most bang for the buck and also helped highway mpg and performance the best was the Ramairbox. I ran that for 4yrs and replaced it last year with my Procharger D-1
http://www.ramairbox.com/

Nothing wrong with aluminum, fast heat transfer means it does not retain as much heat.
Only thing on my top end that is not aluminum are my valves. 55mm tb, m1, Edelbrock heads, HS 1.6rr and mp valve covers all aluminum. My Procharger blower all the pipe work are made from alum as is the intercooler and tb hat.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:48 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Hey RM

do you mind if I have a few moments alone with your motor?

Old 10-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Terran
Professional

I actually think it's the TC locking that's causing the problem, to me it feels like it's locking too early, is that possible? It'll get to around 45-50 and then the rpms will drop to 1025rpm from like 2k and the truck will seem like it's struggling and then if i gas it'll downshift [or unlock?] and rev back up and accelerate.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

ORIGINAL: Terran

I actually think it's the TC locking that's causing the problem, to me it feels like it's locking too early, is that possible? It'll get to around 45-50 and then the rpms will drop to 1025rpm from like 2k and the truck will seem like it's struggling and then if i gas it'll downshift [or unlock?] and rev back up and accelerate.
Have you checked/adjusted your transmission TV (throttle valve) cable. May or may not help but it's cheap ($0). If it helps great, if not it's a good idea to do anyway.

http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm#TVCable

Old 10-11-2006, 08:47 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't recall if anyone posted this link in response to your original question but there is a TON of good information in it. Might help you make up your mind: https://dodgeforum.com/m_462437/tm.htm

Old 10-12-2006, 12:41 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

with regards to your original post on the tranny... mine up shifted so much that at 35~40 mph, i'd be in OD. one thing that always pissed me off about my tranny.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:43 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ramdamit98

Have you checked/adjusted your transmission TV (throttle valve) cable. May or may not help but it's cheap ($0). If it helps great, if not it's a good idea to do anyway.

http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm#TVCable
TV cable adjust could be part of it. If you do adjust it make sure you know exactly where you started from and move in very small increments.

LMAO God Ram It. Thats an old pic of my dirty little 360 [:-] Better cover the keyboard/monitor for this more recent pic

Old 10-12-2006, 11:20 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

you had to go and do that.

nobody talk to me for at least 15 minutes

Old 10-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Do you even read the posts???? I explained it to you 2 posts above the one I quoted. Here it is again.
Mine was like that until I did all my mods. If you have the 5.2 and the 3.55 rear gear - the truck will be doggy as hell. The area you mentioned between 45 and 50mph is the speed just above where the overdrive kicks in and the tc locks. Meaning the engine is really below the optimum rpm for power and torque. You have to gas it to get the rpm's back up so the engine will "pull". If you start doing mods like we suggested - it will help your engine to be more efficient and to "pull" better.

Since you don't seem to read or understand anything we put on here to help you - I am done posting on any of your threads.....