2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Flowmaster Exhaust - ~$200
31.82%
Magnaflow Cat - $159
11.36%
K&N CAI - $200
47.73%
Shift Kit - $109
9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Which mod should i do first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Terran
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which mod should i do first?

I'm not rich so i'm looking for the best bang for my buck for my semi-sluggish '97 5.9 Ram? Post any other suggestions.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Mike Roma
Professional
Default RE: Which mod should i do first?

Is the computer stock?
Any mods at all, yet?

Old 10-09-2006, 12:51 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I voted for the CAI, but if you had posted installing a Super chips program I would've voted for it instead. In addiditon to supertuning your ignition and fuel injection curves, it compensates for larger tires and firms up your tranny shifts. Then do a trans filter change and adjust your bands. Why do you feel your truck is "semi sluggish"?

Old 10-09-2006, 01:30 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

I vote you use the search function.

Every newbie asks the same frigin question. The info is on here, quit being lazy and find it.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

I agree. This topic gets beat to death on here. But - since I'm a nice guy I will add my 2 cents. You did not put the proper items in your poll. I voted for the Flowmaster exhaust. But - my suggestion would be to go to truckaddons.com and get a Hypertech Programmer for $281.95. Much more performance and versatility with this mod. Then as you add things such as a Fastman Throttle Body and K&N filter and Flowmaster exhaust and 180 degree t-stat and high-flow cat, the Hypertech program will make these mods work even better. If your tranny is slipping or something - you might need all your money to fix that.....so look at that if you are having tranny issues.
Also - all the things I mentioned have MANY threads you can read through to get all the info you need. Use the "search" function on the site....

Old 10-09-2006, 02:52 AM
ripto
Captain

I'm just curious as to why the K&N CAI is winning this poll. Thats mainly for more horsepower in the higher rpm ranges. I voted for the cat because I know the stock ones suck and tend to break. Also gives better sound from the exhaust system.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:58 AM
silverram99
Captain

Ripto, I don't mean to come across as an *** here but you are probably the only person I have ever heard complain about their K&N CAI. It is a good first mod, my MPG has increased almost 3 mpg since I installed mine and the performance has definently increased.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 AM
Terran
Professional

IT seems more sluggish at highway speeds then anything else, it doesn't seem to want to accelerate around the 45- 55 mark

The reason i didn't put the superchips is i'm not fond of paying $300 to "tune" my truck for 87 octane gas, i have a mechanical tranny, and stock tires so how much of difference is it going to make really?

Old 10-09-2006, 04:18 AM
silverram99
Captain

You can tune it for premium fuel too. You will never get all the performance your truck is capable of when you do mods unless the computer is told how to use them. So no you couldn't adjust your shift points, but I'll bet at some point you will get different tires. It also will retrieve codes when/if your check engine light comes on.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain

Don't know if it'll help, but it's worth a look.

http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm

There's a few things there that are cheap or free to start with if you haven't done them already. My 2 cents is the mods your looking at compliment each other and their full potential won't be realized until they're all done.