2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Checking TB for oil (plenum)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:27 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Checking TB for oil (plenum)

you'd need a #20 torx head driver (like a screwdriver with a torx bit on the end, star shaped), 13mm wrench and a pair of pliers. that's about all you need to yank the TB. when you go to tighten the TB down, make the bolts snug if you dont have a torque wrench. I've done it this way several times w/o any problems. DONT go ape on it, your bolting the TB into an aluminum manifold and you dont want to strip the threads in it.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:41 PM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this #20 torx head driver going to allow me to take the sensors off the TB as well or just the TB itself?

Old 10-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

The torx head is for the sensors.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:39 PM
ripto
Captain

Oh okay, are there any good write ups for taking the TB off for the inexperienced? I checked out the fastman's and it seems pretty good, should I go with that?

making a list of stuff to get:

#20 torx head driver
couple of throttle body gaskets (is there a specific size incase the guy asks me or should I just tell him the truck?)

Old 10-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

Have you downloaded the '01 service manual post here. Large file may take a while if your internet is slow. It's for an '01 but alot of it will apply to your truck. If you haven't downloaded it yet it'll help.

http://www.neonix.org/nero/files/2001ramsrvcmanual.zip

For the throttle body gasket you should just need your truck info. It's pretty common and the guy at the parts store should be capable of getting you the right one. Just in case be gentle with the old one so you can re-use it if necessary. It shouldn't be a problem. I usually don't have much confidence in the guys at he parts store, but they shouldn't screw up on a throttle body gasket.

I was just looking up on the master bolt/nut size thread at the top of the forum and the torx for the sensors is a #25. Just to make sure I went out and checked on my truck and it's a #25. You should be able to pick up a little nut driver set with multiple bits so your covered on this and other jobs.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:43 PM
ripto
Captain

ok cool thanks, I also checked that list and did a find for #20 and nothing showed up, was wondering why. Thanks for the link and checking.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

IIRC the #20 is good for removing your tail lights to change bulbs or in my case change the tail light out altogether. Not like that has anything to do with your throttle body.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:28 AM
ripto
Captain

I asked my dad about the torx head drivers and he said he doesn't know what they are / doesn't have any but he said he has some star shaped things, so he showed me the 3 he had and I tried the one with I think 6 notches on it in one of the holes just to see if it fits and seems like it does, so thats good.

How do you go about cleaning the TB and the sensors? What products do you use/do you not use on them?

Edit: Found this in my list of bookmarked websites: http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm#CleanTB

This is in there:

How to clean your Throttle Body:

Most people think that cleaning the throttle body requires a can of Carb/Throttle Body Cleaner and a quick "wash" of the bores. This may work, but only washes the dirt and cleaner down into your intake manifold where it can puddle up and break down the belly-pan gasket. Then, it also is pulled into the combustion chamber where is can foul up the spark plugs.

The proper way to clean your throttle body is to remove it from the engine (you'll need a small pan, some compressed air, and a new throttle body gasket for this procedure):

1. Remove your air hat from the throttle body
2. Disconnect the sensor connectors (TPS, MAP, and IAC)
3. Remove the four throttle body bolts
4. Lift the throttle body up and away from the intake manifold (place a rag over the manifold opening to prevent anything from falling inside)
5. Remove the three sensors (Do not drop them)
6. Remove the three screws for the throttle linkage (Not required...can be done with linkage attached)
7. Place the throttle body in a small pan and spray Carb/Throttle Body Cleaner in the bores, underside passages, and ports. Let soak for about a minute.
8. Clean the IAC Solenoid - Refer to "How to clean the IAC Solenoid"
9. Spray some more Carb/Throttle Body Cleaner in the bores and ports of the throttle body
10. Wipe clean with a lint free rag (baby diaper works well) and blow out all the ports with some compressed air (a small can from a electronics store works just fine).
11. Reinstall all sensors, then reinstall on your vehicle with a new Throttle Body gasket (don't forget to remove the rag)
Is there a specific brand of cleaner I should be looking for? The compressed air, it says its okay to use the stuff from an electronics store, is that just like the stuff that blows dust and dirt from the keyboard? such as 'air duster' and 'dust-off', etc.? And when spraying the cleaner, do you spray just the holes or the entire thing? I've never actually seen a TB before so I don't really know.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:52 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain

Here's a couple photos of VWandDodge's throttle body from fastman. It's not quite identical but it gives you an idea of what it'll look like out. It's metal so spraying the crap out of it in and out is fine. I used Mopar combustion Chamber cleaner on mine when it was out. I also took a chance and did the sensors with it also. Mopar Combustion Cahmber Cleaner may be a little strong for the sensors but I've haven't had any problems.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32197/62EADD71BAD841C1B0E5255AB2E78C4D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32197/BF8F4250A7F946478C1F4FEF44073531.jpg[/IMG]

Be gentle with the sensors. Especially with the plunger(end) on the IAC(upper left on pic below). There's also an O-ring on the MAP, don't lose it or forget to put it back on after.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32197/0A9A7AD226C54F1BBDB202C22F1977E7.jpg[/IMG]

Yes that's the compressed air they're talking about

EDIT: Someone might have a better choice in a cleaner for the sensors

Old 10-16-2006, 03:06 AM
JarheadX
All Star

Thats going to be my project tomorrow

Quick Reply: Checking TB for oil (plenum)