2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Checking TB for oil (plenum)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:54 AM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking TB for oil (plenum)

Tomorrow I think I'm going to check the TB to see if theres any oil puddling it in. Whats the amount of that is okay to be in there just a thin lining? I know some probably will be in there but if theres a pool its bad. Now all I have to do is take my cai off and look down through the valves right? Question, how do I open them, do I force them open or is the only way to have someone inside the truck step on the gas? (with the truck off of course).

Old 10-14-2006, 02:05 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Default RE: Checking TB for oil (plenum)

Honestly bro, it should be pretty bone dry...maybe a tad brown from PCV residue. No wet stuff whatsoever. You should be able to actuate the throttle from the motor. Just pull back (toward you)

Old 10-14-2006, 02:38 AM
timwag2001
All Star

the best thing for you to do is to buy a new tb gasket. and since your taking the intake off, take the tb off and give it a good cleaning, including you iac. and whil you have it off use a mirror to look down in there and make sure theres no pooling oil.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:49 AM
ripto
Captain

well I wasn't planning on taking the TB off since I think i will be getting a fastman in the next 2 months sometime. I'm gunna have to research how to clean the sensors before hand.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:04 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

cleaning the sensors is a snap... all you need is the right size torx bit and they come right off. it is way easier to see what's going on inside the intake with the TB off and way easier to clean it while it's off. it takes about 10 minutes max to get it off and since your getting a fastman soon, just re-use the old gasket and make sure the tb is torqued down right. i've re-used my tb gasket a few times and never had a leak so you should be fine.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain

ORIGINAL: ripto

well I wasn't planning on taking the TB off since I think i will be getting a fastman in the next 2 months sometime. I'm gunna have to research how to clean the sensors before hand.
I had a hard time seeing if my Plenum was leaking through the throttle body. It wasn't until I removed it that I was able to tell. It wasn't leaking that bad so it was tough to tell. As steve00ram360 it's easy to take off, it's easier to clean the sensors and easier to see inside the intake. With a little care you can re-use the gasket. I re-used my old one until I was ready to to the Plenum.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:20 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Regarding re-using the old throttle body gasket. They are only a buck and a half at NAPA. I buy two or three at a time just to have extra's in case I want to do some quick work around the throttle body area. Just easier to take it off than work around it.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:53 PM
ripto
Captain

The problem is I don't have any of the tools to take off the TB and sensors correctly. Only tools I have is what my dad has for his landscaping business, pretty much basic stuff. I don't really want to take it off then be required to torque it back on w/o the right tool.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:50 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

ah, gotchya... well might be time to invest in a set then. I bought a kit to toss in my truck from home depot along time ago that has all of the sockets I need for times when i'm on the road. they're not too expensive. another option might be to go to the auto parts store to see what they have. they should be cheeper than craftsman or home depot's stuff. I wouldnt do any serious wrenching with them thouogh... have seen my share of stripped sockets & bolts from using "cheep"

Old 10-15-2006, 05:24 AM
ripto
Captain

Can you list some of the tools that would be helpful for doing TB work? I have sockets, us and metric, and the basic stuff but nothing to do serious work. (I wonder why they decided to incorporate both metric and US size sockets into the truck, doesn't really make sense to me, it was pretty annoying just for putting on the cai, I can just imagine what other areas would be like).

Quick Reply: Checking TB for oil (plenum)