2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny check ball

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:54 AM
xhausted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny check ball

i have searched the forums and come to the conclusion that my symptoms are because of a bad check ball. i saw where it said that the part cost $40, is there another name for it and can i just pick it up at the parts house. i couldn't find it on the auto zone website. will i have to order it or is a dealer only part, my truck is my primary source of income and i cant wait a week for the part to come in. thanks in advance

Old 10-24-2006, 02:35 AM
timwag2001
All Star
Default RE: tranny check ball

you could try rockauto.com or summitracing.com

Old 10-24-2006, 06:28 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Take the pressure line apart at the fitting. You will see the check ball in the rubber hose part. Push on it with something and see if it moves freely. If it does - it probably isn't the problem. You could also take the pressure line apart at the "quick disconnect" fitting and have someone start the truck in "neutral" while you hold the line into a clean container. It should pump fluid out pretty quickly. If it does pump - shut it off real quick and reattach the line. Put the fluid back in the tranny and look elsewhere for the problem. I believe the check ball part is a dealer item, and you have to buy the whole line to get it. Someone had a thread about that a long time ago on here.
Not to be ignorant - but what problem are you having that makes you believe the check ball is bad?

Old 10-24-2006, 09:39 AM
2001ramsport
Veteran

a bad check valve would cause your tranny to over heat.generally by the time you find the thing has gone bad it's too late.
also I've heard that alot of guys remove it all together.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
xhausted

could i just splice in a new cooler into the hard line, or would the new cooler replace the entire hard line

Old 10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
xhausted

it will not shift into higher gear, it is to the point that it really won't move at all.
checked the fluid level and it was fine, but it was obvious that the fluid has been getting hot
because of the discoloration, i would rather just bypass the check ball and install another cooler
i'm pretty sure this is going to be the problem

Old 10-24-2006, 01:48 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

don't want to be the one to tell you this, but sounds like your trans is fried.no cooler is going to fix it now that the damage is done.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:14 PM
FRUITPORTCAT

[8D]I think uou are talking about check ball and spacer plate for the valve body????-Chrysler used a steel ***** for the check ball on the spacer plate and they end up eating through the spacer plate. If that is your problem either through a dealer or any trans shop could supply the parts-new spacer plate, 2-3 nylon check ***** depending on trans, valve body gaskets, and filter and pan gasket & fluid. Simple to do

Old 10-24-2006, 03:53 PM
xhausted

ok! here's the poop! i took the pressure line off and located the check ball, it was gunked up but not really stuck. i cleaned it really well and while it was apart i started the truck in neutral the see if there was fluid flow, there was, so i connected everything and started the truck, put her in drive, we have lift off. reverse worked just as well. so i let her warm up a bit while in neutral and tried to pull up......and nothing, nothing but slipping!

if it will work fine while its cold, what is causing it to slip when it warms up?

Old 10-24-2006, 03:57 PM
silverram99
Captain

I hate to say it but it sounds like it is wearing out. A little slipping is normal in an auto but when it gets excessive that is the a pretty good indication that you will need a new tranny soon.

Quick Reply: tranny check ball