2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting Ready to do Plenum and Oil Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Sehr916
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Ready to do Plenum and Oil Pan Gasket

Hi,
Im getting ready to do my plenum and my oil pan gasket and was wondering If you guys could inform me on what to expect. Im mostly wondering about the oil pan as I've read plenty of posts on the plenum. Is it possible to change the gasket with out lifting the engine? Any special tools or anything I need. I DO have the fuel line tool. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2006, 02:37 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Getting Ready to do Plenum and Oil Pan Gasket

although I never pulled my pan, I'm sure you can yank it w/o having to lift or support the motor in anyway. does this relate to the timing cover problem from last summer?

while you have it off, check your oil pickup screen to make sure there is no blockage. if there is, clean it as best as you can.

on the plenum, i recommend you vacuum up all of the crap that is on the intake so it's nice and clean, and to help even further, spray it down with simple green and take it to a car wash and wash the motor down. this will help minimize the risk of any crap dropping down into the motor when you yank off the intake. Once the intake is off, put rags or aluminum foil over the valley area to catch any cleanup of gasket material when you clean the heads.

if you run into any problems let me know (you might still have my cell #)... be happy to help.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep a rubber mallet handy to whack the pan into place. I've removed the oil pan to replace the gasket. The engine was in place, and I didn't have the truck on jack stands. I needed the mallet to "coax" the pan back into place.

As for making sure the gasket stays straight -------- have fun with that one and take your time.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:25 PM
silverram99
Captain

For keeping the gasket in place see if you can find one of those where some of the holes are smaller so the bolts actually hold the gasket in place. I know they make these for tranny pans but I'm not sure about oil pans. I think they are called 3rd hands or something like that.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:28 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

putting the oil pan gasket on is not that hard... set it on the pan, put a bolt thru it and mount it to the block, then do another bolt on the other end and your on your way.

must make sure you torque it properly.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:23 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

Alright thanks guys

Old 10-28-2006, 02:14 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

Im def going to save the oil pan gasket for a later day. The plenum is a lot more work than i thought.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:58 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I have a 01 4X4 Extended cab and pulling the pan gasket is pretty easy and straight forward. Gotta take the starter, an engine brace, transmission dust shield, and maybe one or two other things off. In my truck the pan has plenty of room to be dropped and pulled without having to get physical with it. Not sure how many miles are on your truck, but a new Melling High Volume ( not high pressure ) oil pump is only about $35. Takes an extra five minutes to give your engine a new heart and insure oil flow is not gonna be an issue. You can either clean or replace your oil pickup as you determine. Just be careful when installing the oil pump and make sure it is fully seated flat before tighteneing the bolts.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:57 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Sehr916

Im def going to save the oil pan gasket for a later day. The plenum is a lot more work than i thought.
you can do it... look @ all the work you did on the chain. not much different, tear it appart, clean it up and put it back together.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:10 PM
jram99
Veteran

There's a tip my father-in-law showed me on re-installing parts with loose gaskets. It works really well. Lay the gasket on the pan and tie the 4 corners and center holes with sewing thread. Once the pans in place get the bolts started, then cut that pc of thread and pull it out. I've used this tip everytime I change any gasket that needs to be held in place. Do not leave the thread in placed though as it will act as a wick and you will have a leak! Learned this the hard way on my tranny gasket. Jeff.

Quick Reply: Getting Ready to do Plenum and Oil Pan Gasket